Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie G

First Try At A Shady Lady Squid

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I guess when I saw Okisutch's squid thread it got me motivated to try a squid pattern. I saw Bob Pop's shady lady pattern and I thought let's give it a try.

Here's my interpretation of it. 7in long on a 3407 3/0 hook.

Hey Charlie -- that looks great, and I always thought the Shady Lady was one of the best squid flies ever devised. Your take on it will no doubt nail some fish for you.

Jonny

Thanks guys. The only thing I wasn't all to satisfied with was the front tie off.

I might try another and see if I can get a reverse tied on collar to work right on it.

If you get a sparse amount of some white bucktail shorter than the fleecy stuff, reverse tie it, and tie it back to a 45-60 degree flare pointing back toward the hook point, it might help a bit with swimming the feathers(create a bit of turbulence) and swimming the fly (kind of knuckleball a bit). Depending on what kind of current you're going to be fishing in.

Thanks Okisutch I'll give the next one a try like that.

CrabEyes I'm not sure about the eyes I got them here on the site threw a giveaway.

With respect to the bucktail suggestion, I was thinking a tie at the hook eye as a final step. Or could finsih with some marabou too.

CharlieG, what are your materials for the mantle? It looks a lot like cashmere or angora. Patterns I'm tying now have me dealing with fouling of materials around the hook eye and tippet. And believe you me, this fly looks a prime candidate for just that. Have you ever worked with Liquid Fusion?

Splendid pattern by the way. I for one would love to see a family portrait of your fly box before the season starts!

Kevin there is a wrapping of estaz on the hook shank pink under the eye and pearl under the body. Then a short then longer vale of Polar fiber for the body. the only test so far is the sink test, and it looks real nice. It pulsates during a stripping action. But we will see. The kitchen sink was full of last nights dinner dishes so I couldn't swim it in there so had to go to a small sink. It would be nice to have a swim tank like I saw posted, but I don't need anymore on my plate.

I have tried Liquid fusion and like it. That is what I used attaching the eyes.

I will see this week as I intend to try some striper fishing in the river. They have never taken flies in the river at this time of year, but it will give me a good opportunity to try casting and swim some winter ties.

I have yet to cast the fly to see how it does at that. My worry as of now will be the hackle tentacles fouling on the hook "I think".