Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rollcast

Shrink Tape handle

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I just picked up a used custom Lami 11' 1 piece Gsb the other day. Right now it has a cork tape handle with no reels seat. I want to shrink tape the handle and add foam grip ( maybe 11/2-2") at the top of the handle to break it up a bit.. It was wrapped at Rocky Point and has a pretty thick build up of epoxy where handle ends.. Should I wrap the handle with anything before putting the shrink tape on? If anybody has another idea of what I could do at the top of the handle I'd like your input.. I'm not a rod builder but I'm pretty handy.. Also off hand what size shrink tubing should I use, since its a common blank.

Thanks, rollcast

Mike. Why the cheap cork not the rubber I did a handle with xflock over the rubber cork and iy seems to move is that why I should use the cork thanks

Jason, That X Flocks sometimes seems to stretch and move. I am redoing one now. I started using contact cement when I use x flocks. I think Mike told him the underlayment cork because it's thinner on the GSB's but I'm sure Mike will chime in..

Mike. Why the cheap cork not the rubber I did a handle with xflock over the rubber cork and iy seems to move is that why I should use the cork thanks

The reason for the All Cork instead of rubberized cork tape is that it's weights more and it has a little more give so it feels better. I'm not a fan of Xflock or any real thin rubber shrink as the thinner it is the more it moves. Contact cement as Lou said would be the way to go with that stuff. If you fish sand 90% the thin stuff is fine. if you use it as a walking staff around rocks don't waste your time and use the heavy shrink which you can use over All Cork or direct to the blank. I would never use thin shrink direct to the blank.

yeah that's the reason, weighs a lot less, stays a little softer even compressed and is a lot cheaper. talks a litte more effort to put it on casue you can easily tear it but it works good as a filler