Obsolete Products that Don't Deserve the Love

Rate this topic

BrianBM

1. The Penn Squidder. Doesn't do a damn thing that the 525mag doesn't do, better. Or the Newell 229. Probably Squalls, etc., too.

2. One piece rods. Current ferruling systems are so good that for general purpose surf angling, 95% of us would be better off with the convenience of a current 2-pc rod. I'll probably buy myself a nice custom CTS once the new long-spool 6500 is out. If you go to a CTS demo, you'll find out just how damn good those rods feel, and I'm sure that Century and the latest St. Croix are also fine. BTW the ferrules on my 25+ year old Fenwick Surf Sticks never gave me a problem either.

3. I felt like starting an uproar, this is my point of departure. If I need to insult the 704Z (so-so line lay for braid, far more capacity than anyone using braid ever needs) I will. You're all warned.

I agree with your 1st point about the squidder, but they still look cool and I have a bunch in my collection.

Still like one piece rods. But I broke the ice with an 11' foot Lami Surf King I keep in my Saturn daily driver and I actually like it.

PLease don't start in on the 704z! That will put me over the edge.

SOL member #17
LIBBA #2310
"I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all" - General James Mattis speaking to tribal leaders in Afghanistan.

Not a lot of response. I guess even though much of the gear we used in the past has been replaced it still deserves the love.

SOL member #17
LIBBA #2310
"I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all" - General James Mattis speaking to tribal leaders in Afghanistan.

I'd have to disagree with you on the squidder and 525mag comparison. The mag is a good plugging reel but for me the gear ratio is way to high and it doesn't have enough line capacity all things the squidder has.

Living the dream... one sick day at a time!!

I'd have to disagree with you on the squidder and 525mag comparison. The mag is a good plugging reel but for me the gear ratio is way to high and it doesn't have enough line capacity all things the squidder has.

I'm not so happy with the squidder's gear ratio but like the line capacity and love the quick change spool.

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

1. The Penn Squidder. Doesn't do a damn thing that the 525mag doesn't do, better. Or the Newell 229. Probably Squalls, etc., too.

2. One piece rods. Current ferruling systems are so good that for general purpose surf angling, 95% of us would be better off with the convenience of a current 2-pc rod. I'll probably buy myself a nice custom CTS once the new long-spool 6500 is out. If you go to a CTS demo, you'll find out just how damn good those rods feel, and I'm sure that Century and the latest St. Croix are also fine. BTW the ferrules on my 25+ year old Fenwick Surf Sticks never gave me a problem either.

3. I felt like starting an uproar, this is my point of departure. If I need to insult the 704Z (so-so line lay for braid, far more capacity than anyone using braid ever needs) I will. You're all warned.

I disagree with that statement. I still yet to see a 2pc rod that don't require any alignments during a long night of casting or a short period of PP..The only reason I buy 2pc rods is transportation and availability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by levari View Post

I disagree with that statement. I still yet to see a 2pc rod that don't require any alignments during a long night of casting or a short period of PP..The only reason I buy 2pc rods is transportation and availability.

The ferule on my 12' tiralejo has yet to require an adjustment.

I did snap the first one though, about a foot and a half from the end of the butt.

Was promptly warrantied.  

Physics tells me that turning a 1 piec into a 2 piece cannot be as stable, sensitive, or strong as 1. Have they improved... yes, are 2's better than a 1....not possible! When it comes to travel and transport 2's rule, otherwise I prefer a 1.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

Ahhh, Ba Ba Buoy, but the question isn't one of mechanical physics alone. The question is a practical one. Pick up a current 2-pc rod and I doubt you can feel any deadness on the cast. I'd bet even tournament casters use 2-pc rods these days.

Squidders and line capacity. Well, if you still fish mono, dacron, or Irish linen, perhaps the 525 is inadequate. I can stuff almost 300 yards of ...I think it was 30 lb. rated braid, when I last loaded up. I doubt that I've ever touched the 150-yard limit on a cast, even with a skinny tin. The striped bass has yet to be spawned that can't be subdued with the remaining 150 yards.