Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alferd Packer

So I got a question...

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

In your oh so humble opinion, what are the best lures for fishing stripers here in Nor Cal. My inventory is limited to bucktails, a couple of CC poppers, SP minnows, and some metals. Time to add to it. Suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by moocks View Post

Little Neck poppers pencil poppers a few metals the sp minnows you have and few hair raisers and your set until you want to branch out

Thanks! I'll branch out past the CC pencil poppers and round up some little necks. Like my castmasters and need to pick up some Hopkins and Crocks. Also casting 1 and 2 oz bucktails, mostly in white, some in green and yellow.

I just pulled a 5" Danforth Constellation Express off a sailboat I'm restoring for this guy and I've seem compasses go pretty quickly in the WTT forum. So I'm also wondering what I might ask for in exchange.

Fishermandan - Thanks for the suggestion. Looking primarily for plug suggestions so I might have to side with Winch on this one :)

I'll give it a shot none the less

If you find a school of feeding stripers any lure will work as long as it will stay within the water column(feeding zone) and within eatable sizes. I had several 9" sinking Rebel anchovies plugs(light blue backs) that fished very well along the troughs in the ocean.

Winch will mention about size & color of plugs making a difference, but you should always have metal in colors...Charley Chew gave me some lures he made in white with red or green trim..One day at Sloat ave, terns were going crazy, but no hits..i threw every thing in chrome with no results..I finally put one of Charleys white mikeys on & hooked up abot 6 bass in 9 casts or so..Then the birds left & so did the fish..When i started making lures, I always try chrome & painted lures at each hole,,For many years San Jose lure maker Tony ( the best in my opinion) sold his All green Chartruese Mikeys , & that was the tops for a long time..Even out sold chrome...It doesn't take long to try each lure & find out the pattern...Jim

I guess it depends on what you mean by "best" lure. If you're looking for plugs then I can only speculate. I think catching a fish on a top water plug takes the "cool" factor. You could bid on a $100 Winch plug, maybe it will slay the bass for you. IMO, the best lure is the one that catches fish, afterall catching is more fun than not catching. Use whatever the fish are biting. I usually "match the hatch", but I will use whatever works at the time. My most productive lure (by a MILE) is a 5" Zoom Fluke. Catches many species of fish in many places, and many conditions. Usually outfishes anything else I throw. I have also caught a couple on the "California Rig" too, by the way. Have yet to catch em two/three at time, BUT I WILL when I get my "crazy eight" rig from Hi's tackle box!! lol