Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Socrates_thinks

Glass Bottom Yak

9 posts in this topic

I'm sure someone had this idea long ago, especially yakfisherpeople like me. My Scupper Pro has such a nice flat area due north of my crotch (bet that one passes the censor).

Occurred to me this would be a great area for a kewl "lookdown" with a piece of clear plastic or plexi installed in the hull and and as a see thru hatch.

Concerns:

1. Cutting a hole in bottom of boat, sealing properly, still being able to drag it over the sand. (Thought of chamfering the cut edges, put plastic/plexi in side. Will leave a little drag inducing ridge, but probl. not bad).

2. Drag (see above)

3. Bending/heating clear plastic/plexi to fit curvature of hull without a lot of vision distortion.

4. Killing two birds with one stone, incorporating into a round opening hatch for center access too.

5. How bout a periscope kind of arrangement? Has anyone made or used such a device (though this is more garbage to carry around and hard to use.

6. Dragging yak over sand. I fear sand "build up" in that area, scratching the plexi. Also maybe issues with sliding the yak over the carpet and foam pads on my roof.

Thanks...will enjoy your responses and usual creative ferment...

Soc.

So Crates welcome to the board, If I remember correctly someone posted a pic of a completely clear plexiglass type kayak on here a while back. Would be great in the tropical waters. dave

I think the keyword here is tropical. I just don't see a big advantage to looking through a small opening into the gray/brown water which most of us fish in. Yeah, it would be great in Florida but the upside is very limited as I see it.

Hey guys...

Really appreciate the pics, etc., but I am really committed to doing this, need technical advice...

esp. materials, can plexi be bent to fit hull shape, etc., see above.

Thanks..

Soc.

I think You will have a hard time getting any glue or sealant to bond. After a couple months it will be so scratched up it will have seemed like alot of work for nothing.

Barrell