Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brentfd

#8 reel shootout

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

I use the least expensive model from sage 1680 7-9wt (99.00) and swear by it for kayak fishing it was interesting to see the 1880 model for 40.00 more beat out most of the high end models in the 600.00 range ,looks like I'm going to upgrade.

Surprised to see the vanquish so low. Id expect a lot out of a 800 dollar offering from lamson. Would be interesting to see a colton thrown into the mix. I think they failed to include two key data points though: ease of maintenance and longevity.

Good review. Although I'm not sure why brute drag strength is such an important feature on a fly reel? I would have thought drag smoothness and the ability to easily increase/decrease drag in small increments would be a more useful feature?

Pity Charlton/Mako, Nautilus and Danielsson weren't included to.

Ok interesting but still for me too much emphasis on looks. They did a very good job overall in my opinion.

What can't be done in short term tests like this is establish just how tough and how long a reel is likely to last. Also no data on how well sealed those sealed drags are.

The bit that made me smile the most was with regards to the unsealed drags on The Abel and Tibor Reels. I agree that the Abel Super 8 very easy to take apart and get access to the cork drag. The problem with the cork drag is that mine swelled up and did not remain flat when it got wet. I had to replace it. The reel is so heavily ported it lets in water big time. Worse the drag on the Able Super 8 is badly effected by sea water and sand. Get some inside and it knocks the pawls out and your reel goes into free spool. This has happened a lot on my Super 8 so as a beach reel it is not very useful to me.

Lab tests combined with real world outdoor tests are the way to go. The problem with that is that products these days change very quickly and Testers do not get enough time to do meaningful field testing.

Interesting data though and I love the fact it cuts through some of the drag force claims that are out there not by the makers but by us the end Users. LOL

Fair play to Trident for spending the time and money on doing these tests.:th:

Mike

Quote:

Good review. Although I'm not sure why brute drag strength is such an important feature on a fly reel?

Agreed.  I dont think brute drag strength is a good indicator.  I have a Orvis reel that can be cranked down to train stopping levels, but its not smooth at its high end.  My charlton maxes out around 8 pounds and is butter smooth and consistent at the top end, and that in combination with line drag+a good "down and dirty" fighting style with the rod would probably be more effective than hammering down 20 pounds of mechanical drag.  Plus, Im pretty sure the tippet you would need for to top end drags (like 30 lbs that the Fortuna puts out) would be a bit impractical.

The downside is that it looks like they only tested reels that they sell. I would love to have seen something that compared many more brands and models of reels. I also would have like to see more long term field tests.

While I may be talking out my backside here, I would imagine that brute drag strength would only really be important if you are fishing for very large and powerful species where the tippett would be very heavy and you really don't want to be palming the reel.

The downside is that it looks like they only tested reels that they sell. I would love to have seen something that compared many more brands and models of reels. I also would have like to see more long term field tests.

Bob

Long term field testing would be good but models get changed so often it is probably not practical to do that. Also difficult to calibrate as some Guys fish their gear harder than others.

It makes sense to me that they are testing reels they sell. They are not going to test and get no return from their customer base. At least some models you have more info about than before. Its useful I guess.

Mike

While I may be talking out my backside here, I would imagine that brute drag strength would only really be important if you are fishing for very large and powerful species where the tippett would be very heavy and you really don't want to be palming the reel.

Also when you are in the 3 round with a blue water species it's easier to lock down your drag so you can pump and lift the fish without the worry of a drag slipping.

Few years ago I sent my Ross momentum 8 back to increase drag pressure. They adjusted to 12 lbs

Hatch! I remember a couple years ago, before Mr. Charlton passed away, he came up to the Hatch booth at a retailer show. Recognized him but still wasn't sure it was him. He ended up picking up a reel, looked at it, didn't say a word. After amount a minute. He set it down, said at least there's one company doing things right, smiled, and walked away. Pretty cool moment... He'll always be a legend in the fly reel industry.

Not at all surprised by the Mirage reel. I have quite a few reels including two loops, the mirage is by far one of my favorites. Lighter then your typical sw reel and incredibly smooth/strong drag while still being sealed. Id put it right up there with the Hatch reels for about $200 less.  I've used mine for everything including salmon to tarpon, 3 years later still running perfect!! On the other hand, the Loops are pretty sweet too!