Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devo

What does everyone use for their backing and leader set ups (8/9 wts)?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I'm specifically looking to find out what most people use for their 8 and/or 9 weight striper and bluefish set ups.

I typically tie my own leaders with 6' or so of 30lb fluoro to 3-4' or so of 20lb fluoro as the tippet. So for that reason I spool my reels with 30lb dacron backing so the 20lb tippet is the weakest part of my setup. That way if I'm into my backing, get hung up or something, and something is going to break, its the tippet and not the backing, hence saving my fly line.

But, lately I've been told that might be a little overkill. So what do you all run on you 8 & 9wt set ups?

I switched up to 30 pound dracon after losing my sinking line to a big, in fact my biggest bass a couple years ago. 20 pound backing broke before my 20 pound leader.

The knots are probably the weakest point, but I just decided to go with 30# Suffolk 832 braid for backing.   I can get a few hundred ft on in very little room.  I hope to test it out in may or June.

30 pound backing for sure. I use on my 8wt. 140 yards of 30lb Dacron, Bimini twist to 9 wt intermediate line. Leader is in 50 lb at 4 feet, 2 feet 35lb, 2 to 4 feet 20 lb flouro depending on wind and fly size.

I have 30 lb dacron on all my reels 8 wts & larger. 20 lb on the smaller reels. Never had a need for the backing being that heavy, but I feel it's a bit of insurance if I ever do. Gel Spun or super line braids are fine, but expensive, and you'll get more line on a reel with them, but again, I've not had that need, so I stick to the dacron. Actually, I use regular dacron, like you might use on a trolling reel, as it's usually a bit less in price than "fly line" backing. I've rarely ever gotten into the backing with any fish, so for me the dacron works.

I tie my leaders from Yozuri Hybrid, they'll vary in length, depending on how I'm fishing, and most times I go with either 15 or 20 lb tippets. On my 9 & 10 wt I go with 50 lb butt sections, because I like to throw some really big flies. I rarely go longer than about 8-9' for leader & tippet.

Has anyone used 75-100' of 30lb mono between their backing and fly line?? I was reading that it was supposed to reduce the stress on tippet from the mono stretching.

IMO, unless you're fishing with very light tippets, I can't see the need to use mono in between, especially in saltwater. You're adding more knots, the extra stretch of the mono, and possible problems. With heavier rods I'm using 20 lb tippets so don't worry about the stress on it. If I lose a fish when the tippet breaks, so be it. All I've lost is a fly, maybe a bit of tippet & have to retie. No big deal.

yes we use 75 to 100 feet of 50 pound mono on our bill fishing set ups. Our bill fishing set up is a 30' head only then the mono. Lots of stretch helps save the 16/20 tippet. But i only use it for billfish. I think many years ago like in the 70s Dan Blanton used mono between the fly line and mono.

8-9 wts is use 30 braid as backing. Leaders are simple, 4-8' of 30lb ande leader (or similar) and then tippet of varying sizes. Rarely fish above 15 on that weight rod and usually go with 12.