Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptGull

Stradic 5000 FJ vs Penn 450SS

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

If on the same rod, would the lightweight  5000 FJ handle the size fish my decades old workhorse Penn 450 SS has? I wanted more line capacity but going up to the 6000 FJ doubles the weight (20.8oz). I guess I'm just having a hard time convincing  myself a young lightweight could hold it's own with a old middleweight.

The Stradic could handle anything the 4500 SS can but you say more capacity, what pound mono or braid are you using in the application your thinking about.

If you using anything over 30 pound braid your just wasting capacity, 20 pound 832 will manhandle any fish and will still give you tons of capacity. 14 pound Fireline is another one that will add capacity and be extremely strong when it counts, it's a legit high 30 pound line .

The 20 832 is a legit 40 pound line in it's strength.

Thanks. I just got 150 yd of Suffix 832 and liked it so much I ordered another 600 yd. The FJ advertises 220 yd. 20lb braid capacity. From your  response, maybe I'll get something used here on the forum along the lines of the 8000FJ . That will be to replace my Penn 750 SS I use on my offshore pitch rod. I use 50lb Power Pro for that.

Thanks. I just got 150 yd of Suffix 832 and liked it so much I ordered another 600 yd. The FJ advertises 220 yd. 20lb braid capacity. From your  response, maybe I'll get something used here on the forum along the lines of the 8000FJ . That will be to replace my Penn 750 SS I use on my offshore pitch rod. I use 50lb Power Pro for that.

Be real careful with the stated strengths of these lines and the real strengths where they actually break at in real world conditions. For instance , 20 pound Samurai braid actually breaks below what 10 pound 832 breaks at, and even Fireline 10 pound breaks considerably higher , both those 10 pound lines break on average in the high 20 pound range.

Samurai is a line that breaks right around it's stated rating as does Sufix Performance braid , they have also been known to break below their stated 20 pound rating. People who fish Samurai say it casts great and it does because it's a very thin line but in actuality that 20 pound Samurai is no stronger and actually weaker over all then some 10 pound braids, Samurai's diameter is identical to some 10 pound braids.

I like my 5000fj a lot. I use 20# fire line on it, i think the 14# is a little light but i fish around rocks.

If i'm fishing just rocks i'll just use a much longer leader of heavier mono or flouro, before i started using lighter lines i thought i would experience a lot of breakoffs as well but it has not been an issue at all, don't know why though.

I know there are a bunch of long time successful anglers on these boards that only fish 14 pound Fireline for everything and they won't fish anything else. 20 pound Fireline is a legit 50 pound strength line , 14 Fireline is a legit high 30 pound line and actually has diameters that are nearly identical of other lines that test close to 40 pounds.

Try it sometime , i bet you will be amazed and appreciate a little more capacity and distance as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakfisherman5 View Post

stratic 5000 with 20 lb 832 will be a good light setup and will handle any fish inshore 

I've decided to get the 5000 and 600 yd 832 came in the mail today. I'm targeting snook. My biggest last summer was 18lb and I saw many larger caught. Once in a while  a tarpon moves in close and somebody with snook tackle gets spooled. A long rod surf caster no doubt could catch some very big (over 100lb) off the beach.

I've decided to get the 5000 and 600 yd 832 came in the mail today. I'm targeting snook. My biggest last summer was 18lb and I saw many larger caught. Once in a while  a tarpon moves in close and somebody with snook tackle gets spooled. A long rod surf caster no doubt could catch some very big (over 100lb) off the beach.

As long as your drag is set right you won't have any issues, your rod will snap before that line will if you decided to lock it down tighter to move a big fish.