Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bass-o-matic

Wiring a new house for computer network

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

To be honest, if you plan to stay in that house forever, put in conduits. They make them little blue flex conduits. Up stairs to a pull box in the attic and piped down a chase to the basement. 1st floor piped into the basement and free run unless you finish off those areas. You never know what technology will change to do. I have the areas in my rancher I renovated with conduits to computer areas, bedroom and where we put TV's. Use 3/4" if you do, cables fill conduit very fast.

You can get one of those fancy boxes they sell for the the network. Just get the 12 port surface mount patch panels for the switch/router location mounted on the same board your telephone and cable stuff is.

Who would have though they would run fiber to your house years ago. Cat6 will get you a gig easy, they are out with 7 and talking about 8.

Here a question, just running coax to the TV? :D I have coax and cat5e to the TV with HTPC's in conduits. Coax is so old tech and the cable TV market will get broken eventually. Will it be IP TV, will they come up with something else. New TV's are coming with network plugs so they can run apps like Netflix. A change in that industry is coming, we just are not sure yet what will happen.

Everything is going on the network now. Plan for room for everything you have and things that will come. Commercial places are going with parallel networks because so much stuff is going on their networks. Plan for growth and expansion and for media changes, the reason for conduits.

Run cat6, rj9, and fiber, and you'll be all set. Chances are you just use multiple wireless access points in the future. Wireless in the home is it.

Wireless is better is you plan for multiple access sites and on different channels. Most people have one channel as I do and if you have other people running high bandwidth they all share the same 54mb (G) or 100mb (N) bandwidth. Even on an N wireless router, you get on G device connecting and it all drops to 54mb.

I have one kid watching netflix or youtube and one kid gaming on his computer and the wife trying to use her laptop and complain how slow it is. Each access point is a shared connection. While they are complaining I am wired in and speeding along. :) Like running a cable to several computers and splitting the bandwidth for them. Use wired where you can and use wireless for other things. Wireless can be very convenient until you get several heavy users on the same access point.

You can run wires to just access points and two is most likely plenty for any house and never have two on the same channel. If you live in a neighborhood make sure you change your channels from the standard setting. Most of your neighbors are all on the same channel and wonder why they don't get great speed. Its because your neighbors channel is interfering in your broadcast.

change-your-wi-fi-router-channel-to-optimize-your-wireless-signal

If you buy wireless access points, as in the two I mentioned, you don't have to buy a wireless router, just a router. Or you could get a wireless router and a access point for farther away

I plan on running CAT6 to just about every room in the house.

I was wondering about Coax. I was going to run it to where I think TV are going. I think cable boxes still need to get their feed through coax. I had / will have Verizon Fios to the house.

I ran 3/4 conduit to the TV's and have a network cable and coax in it. TV's still use coax, but its a dead media by today's standards. You can branch from the TV to another network box in the same room if in another spot.

I would plan for your media cables to be possibly be replaced. Comcast has fiber to the house, I would not doubt some day you might run a zip cord 2 fiber strand to the TV, need network cable or some other media. Flex conduits work as long as you don't are too many small bends and are not too long. If in the attic you and hard stick conduit and just drop to flex to the room. Hard stick conduit in wood studs sucks. :)

It will add extra expense, but will be more than worth it if you ever need to change media. Just weigh your options and decide what is best for you. Will you ever need more than a gig, maybe 10g in the future but limited to 90' or so. But I also remember in '85 watching a guy rave about the Commador 64 "Why would you ever need more 64 kilobytes of RAM!" Look how fast that changed. :D

Cat 6 to where you think a TV will be. Ideally run it and terminate wherever there is a outlet but that's a lot of work. Wireless blows but its what everyone is doing these days with the advent of the smart phone and tablet. You're going to want your TV's direct connect to the internet with the data cable. A computer/lap top direct connect with cat 6 is ideal but people today are afraid of cables. :freak:

Agree on the conduits. I did that 10 years ago when building the current residence. Got conduits from the basement to attic at both ends of the house.

Also recommend prewiring for other things beside ethernet such as A / V cables, coax, etc. to areas you think you might put equipment especially for things between floors if 2 story.