Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thebandman

possibly a stupid idea... but it might just work

9 posts in this topic

i was thinking about making an extra large outrigger later on during the summer so i bring a smaller passenger on board without flipping the kayak on the river near my house . it would be made out of foam and fiberglass like the one in this link and will be supported possibly by the arms used in the hobie sidekick with the outrigger on the left side and an extra bar just in front of the pedals to add extra support, or something along those lines with a nylon mesh stretched tightly between them. it needs to be easily removed so i can take take it out on the ocean where i wont need it. any suggestions? or is this just a terrible idea. im trying to get the younger children into fishing as well reconnect after being away at college all year long.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/quikama.html

i was thinking about making an extra large outrigger later on during the summer so i bring a smaller passenger on board without flipping the kayak on the river near my house . it would be made out of foam and fiberglass like the one in this link and will be supported possibly by the arms used in the hobie sidekick with the outrigger on the left side and an extra bar just in front of the pedals to add extra support, or something along those lines with a nylon mesh stretched tightly between them. it needs to be easily removed so i can take take it out on the ocean where i wont need it. any suggestions? or is this just a terrible idea. im trying to get the younger children into fishing as well reconnect after being away at college all year long.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/quikama.html

If your talking about a paddling kayak then it will be tough to get the front and back supports far away from each other so you can paddle in between. Now on a Hobie it would be easy and have potential. Ive been working on it .My problem is I keep scaring fish off the Florida flats that I cant see on my Outback. You need to be standing up to see the reds and snook out in front before they know your there.

The frame has to fold or telescope in. This way you can go down narrow mangrove channels and reduce the drag when heading back to the car. I already figured out how I would make the frame wether I telescope it (round tubing sliding through brackets or fold it like the Hobie adventure island.

What Im looking for right now is a old school 6-6 surfboard with hardly any rocker. Im going to saw it right down the middle and glass the cut side to make my pontoon. Building one from scratch using a shaped block of Styrofoam and epoxy glass is another idea. Ill realy need some time to figure out dimensions as the height off the water is critical. To high off the water and the kayak is leaning over all the time. To low in the water and the drag created will kill you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrell View Post

If your talking about a paddling kayak then it will be tough to get the front and back supports far away from each other so you can paddle in between. Now on a Hobie it would be easy and have potential. Ive been working on it .My problem is I keep scaring fish off the Florida flats that I cant see on my Outback. You need to be standing up to see the reds and snook out in front before they know your there.

The frame has to fold or telescope in. This way you can go down narrow mangrove channels and reduce the drag when heading back to the car. I already figured out how I would make the frame wether I telescope it (round tubing sliding through brackets or fold it like the Hobie adventure island.

What Im looking for right now is a old school 6-6 surfboard with hardly any rocker. Im going to saw it right down the middle and glass the cut side to make my pontoon. Building one from scratch using a shaped block of Styrofoam and epoxy glass is another idea. Ill realy need some time to figure out dimensions as the height off the water is critical. To high off the water and the kayak is leaning over all the time. To low in the water and the drag created will kill you.

it would be for the outback. and if you figure it out please let me know, and vise versa. 

been thinking about something similar to add some secondary stability on the PA for things like surf landings and standing for fat guys like me
I would think you would want it folded in for surf landings.