Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BNickW

Help protect Ruggles reef

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Thanks for signing. I don't surf much, I just agree to protect our shores as much as possible. Seems like fishing access to the cliff walk will be limited for a while unfortunately.

I do surf and have been doing it there for about 17 years it was a huge part of my childhood and taught me a great deal about the ocean even if you don't surf please sign the petition.

This project may actually help surf fishing in the long run. Sure it may screw up the surfing/fishing access for a while but the jetties are temporary. For fishing anything that gets the repairs done "as quickly as possible" is desired. Don't sign until you think this through.

DZ

This project may actually help surf fishing in the long run. Sure it may screw up the surfing/fishing access for a while but the jetties are temporary. For fishing anything that gets the repairs done "as quickly as possible" is desired. Don't sign until you think this through.

DZ

Well my unsolicited opinion as someone who grew up loving both activities on the Island, I disagree. There are far more good fishing spots along our stretch of coastline then there are quality surf spots. Ruggs is unique to itself and whether or not the jetties are temporary I gotta beleive their after effects will be permanent to some degree and the bottom forever altered possibly ruining one of the best breaks along the EC................

So yeah, think this through because temporary solutions aren't necessarily devoid of permanent problems.

Gary, you really have a hair across your proverbial bottom with this post?

Please explain why, saying done (as in filled out the petition) and then mention surfing?? What does "not about fishing" mean?

You really make me not want to post in here, and I have a lot less lately cause of you. Cause you eff with my posts more than anyone's, even stupid **** like this you do to me. :thumbd:

-Kevin

-

-

I'd say this is the equivilant of the army corp of engineers saying they have to close Charlestown breach way for a few years by filling in the mouth of the breach way with boulders so they could more easily dredge the pond.

Gary, you really have a hair across your proverbial bottom with this post?

Please explain why, saying done (as in filled out the petition) and then mention surfing?? What does "not about fishing" mean?

You really make me not want to post in here, and I have a lot less lately cause of you. Cause you eff with my posts more than anyone's, even stupid **** like this you do to me. :thumbd:

-Kevin

-

-

Nalu never liked 'em. :beatin: How dare you talk about something other than fishing in a thread containing something other than fishing, :p:laugh:

Dennis, if something like this was effecting your favorite fishing rock youd be signing man. Im not a huge surfer but surf every once in awhile. Every time a big storm is rolling in I head down to Ruggles with my camera and sit for hours watching guys surf that break. Its really awesome to see. One of the most famous east coast breaks. It was Oneils picture of the week last week. Hopefully they get enough signatures. Im sure water bros and elemental are goign to due their part to stop this.

Bass,

Of course not - construction in our fishing areas does/and has restricted fishing access (temporarily) and fishermen have to live with it - we did it during the last Cliff Walk restoration - we didn't like it but understood it needed to be done. I just don't see how this will affect the surf break permanently - there is no evidence that it will - all conjecture. The proposed jetties are temporary and will be removed in a few months. So they won't be able to surf there for a while - what's the big deal?

This (Clean Ocean Access) is the same group that wanted to overturn the artificial reef placed off of First Beach - they said it was going to "ruin the waves forever" - hasn't happend. They tend not to think about the greater good - just about their interests.

Just like fisherman the surfers would have to go somewhere else to fish and surf while construction is ongoing. But hey, if they can get this changed more power to them - as long as the impact doesn't prolong a fishing closure from the proposed two months to 6 months.

I just wanted to give another non-surfer perspective - not confrontational. The sky will not fall if this project goes through.

DZ