Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
angryangler90

Inside the surf bag of a beginner

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I'm new to surf casting. Over the winter I stocked up on supplies for surf casting this spring and was just wondering if this stuff will do a decent job during the spring run.

I have 6 Blue Frog Bucktails. 3 white. 3 green. 3/4oz, 1oz, and 1-1/2oz. Pork trailers all white and the red/white ones.

A basic spoon and a kastmaser bucktail spoon.

A27 diamond jig with green, yellow, and red tubes.

And finally a couple of 4inch Tsunami swim shads

Is there anything that you guys recommend adding to my bag for the spring? I was thinking about buying some plugs like Bombers but wasn't entirely sure. I also didn't want to spend the extra money on little neck poppers when Im not all that experienced yet in surfcasting.

Thanks!

Good stuff you got :th: I'd throw in a pencil popper and a little neck. You can find a used gibbs or lex pencil for cheap and they work. Super strike little neck is easy as pie to work also, and you can swim them as well for a different retrieve. Also pick up a few snag hooks for your bag, you might come across some bunker pods later this season to snag n drop. I would also get one or two SP minnows. They cast like a dream and catch fish to boot. Having some bombers never hurt either, probably the plug responsible for most bass caught in the state of NJ. Learn to fish the staples you have, no need for fancy metal lips swimmers.

can you tell us the raiting on your rod? it's written above the reel seat this will give us a better idea of what you should throw. I would start off with the swim shads. go to the main form and search bucktails try to find hints on how to fish them and go to you tube. they are the most versatile but tricky to learn at first.

If you haven't already, pick up some books on surf casting. (i.e. The ultimate guide to Surfcasting by William A. Doc Muller) these books will cover what lures to use, how to use them, when to use them, structure, tackle, etc... Take the time to read a few and it will greatly speed up the learning curve.

I think there are two different fisheries for the spring run of bass in the ocean. There is the normal fishery where bombers, darters and swimmers catch a lot of fish, which is mostly lures 3/4 oz to 3 oz. And there is the bunker fishery which is larger lures that are 2-4 oz. and based around pencil poppers. Its hard to gear up for both, especially if you are on a limited budget, and only fishing one rod. I would buy things that can be used throughout the year. There is no guarantee that the bunker will show up in full force. I would get a couple 6" bombers, SP Minnows, Darters, Ball jigs, Fin S or Sluggos, 1-2 oz swimmers and a polaris and pencil popper. That will cover your bases for the year and still not leave you completely shut out if the bunker show.