Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Seal Haters.

Rate this topic

199 posts in this topic

Some of you wish death upon the seals, or as I like to call them..."Water Puppies".

Why? Seals have the same rights to the ocean as stripers do they not? Catch and release stripers so they may thrive, but wipe out seals because why again? :confused:

Agreed. It's all part of a healthy ecosystem. The nearshore availability of stripers in certain areas may have been an ahistorical phenomenon based on the absence of higher order predators such as seals and sharks. The return of these high order predators in great numbers means the restoraiton of a food chain functioning as mother nature intended, which means there will be much more opportunity for the smaller fish and all the prey of the striper as well as other issues. I am in favor of fitting one's angling into the scheme of a natually functioning foodchain. Of course, we'll see a bigger emphasis on C&R in certain areas as you see down in the tarpon waters where sharks are so prevalent and the population is not taken for granted in the same way as other areas. It's a good thing.

The one thing that does concern me is the science behind marine mammal advocacy groups that were started to help save endangered groups of seals but which now are simply doing anything they can to save any seal they get their hands on, even if that seal isn't fit to survive in the wild and should be perishing in the natural course of the rise and fall of baitfish populations and forage etc. Does this lead to an unnaturally high population of seals? Is it healthy for the fish populations for the seal population to be augmented by "seal healthcare"? Or does the number of saved seals end up being so small in the big picture that there isn't any effect on the response of seal populations to natural conditions?

I say we need more dogs like the Giffords :th:

off-leash dog-walking idiots. That could just of easily have been my pencil popper that dog was tearing to pieces...or my leg.

Keeping the ecosystem in check :th:

and getting beach access restricted for people like you and me who don't feel the need to let their dog run loose over beaches shared by all people. That's a separate topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by okisutch View Post

Agreed. It's all part of a healthy ecosystem. The nearshore availability of stripers in certain areas may have been an ahistorical phenomenon based on the absence of higher order predators such as seals and sharks. The return of these high order predators in great numbers means the restoraiton of a food chain functioning as mother nature intended, which means there will be much more opportunity for the smaller fish and all the prey of the striper as well as other issues. I am in favor of fitting one's angling into the scheme of a natually functioning foodchain. Of course, we'll see a bigger emphasis on C&R in certain areas as you see down in the tarpon waters where sharks are so prevalent and the population is not taken for granted in the same way as other areas. It's a good thing.

The one thing that does concern me is the science behind marine mammal advocacy groups that were started to help save endangered groups of seals but which now are simply doing anything they can to save any seal they get their hands on, even if that seal isn't fit to survive in the wild and should be perishing in the natural course of the rise and fall of baitfish populations and forage etc. Does this lead to an unnaturally high population of seals? Is it healthy for the fish populations for the seal population to be augmented by "seal healthcare"? Or does the number of saved seals end up being so small in the big picture that there isn't any effect on the response of seal populations to natural conditions?

Okisutch,

I agree with you 100%, allowing specimens unfit to survive on their own perpetuates a problem. I have been a vocal advocate of natural selection within agriculture for a few decades now, and I have to say that principle applies globally regardless of whether its agriculture or managing endagered species.

Okisutch,

I agree with you 100%, allowing specimens unfit to survive on their own perpetuates a problem. I have been a vocal advocate of natural selection within agriculture for a few decades now, and I have to say that principle applies globally regardless of whether its agriculture or managing endagered species.

So you want the tigers to disappear.

Last year they saved two seals in NH. Then brought them down to CT to bring them back to health. Then they brought them to RI and released them.

WHY?...WHY? Why not bring them back to NH?

Last year they saved two seals in NH. Then brought them down to CT to bring them back to health. Then they brought them to RI and released them.

WHY?...WHY? Why not bring them back to NH?

Why is a seal any better than a tiger? Why Scott?

I honestly don't think I'm a seal Hater. They just piss me off when they show up and the fishing shuts down. They should save some fish for us to catch LOL.

But when the activists show up and tell me I'm doing something wrong because I fish wherte seals are??? Those are the ones I really HATE.

So you want the tigers to disappear.

I would say Tigers have been hunted and forced out of it's own habitats for so long now, that we NEED to help them along. Seals don't need help imo, but they don't need killing either. It bothers me when certain people here say they would like more seals killed. Mainly because they are giant hypocrite baggy knee'd fat faces.