Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Auce

3rd gen 4Runner - just had diagnostics done.

8 posts in this topic

Took it Toyota today to have a once over done. I bought my TR4 about a month ago. 2001 SR5 with 115k on the odometer. I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I have friends who are, so I'd like to know what I can do on my own. I also have no prior service records on the car unfortunately.

Brakes front at 90%

Rear Drums at 60%

All tires fine at 8/32

"Toyota recommendations"

Oil leaking - valve cover gasket $475 (i'll attack pic of leak)

Replace timing belt, drive belts and water pump $825 (nothing broken, just mileage and time for a replacement they say)

Air filter - (i know i can do myself)

Replace spark plugs (looks like a huge pain in this truck)

Mechanic buddy of mine says the following;

"Just have the timing belt done somewhere, Toyota water pumps are amazingly little pieces and they rarely break. Dealers just trying to sell stuff. The valve gasket is BS, Don't sweat that unless a large, visible leak is present. Drive belts should be replaced on a normal car every 8-10 years at most."

So overall I thought I came out with a fairly clean bill of health for my new truck. Attached is the pic of the gasket leak which I was told is very small and not to worry about it by mechanic friend.

Again, I'd like to know from all the 3rd gen pros out there what I can like me (mechanically challenged) can do here on his own to get my new truck the way it should be, thanks in advance for any help.

Valve gasket pic.

Shoot the oil leak with some gunk ( brand name) engine cleaner and keep an eye on it to see if its something to address. Good luck with the new sand sled.

the timing belt on that motor with that mileage isn't a bad idea, considering you have no prior knowledge of replacement.. for the valve covers ..clean and inspect the grommets around the bolts and bolt torque.. easy stuff..

Always change the water pump when doing the timing belt .... Always ...its just the cost of the pump because it comes out for the belt to get done ....putting a new one in means no worries about it till the next timing belt ;)

My 2002 SR5 has 220,000 miles. I do the timing belt, water pump, auto trans flush and radiator flush every 100k. I've not had the valve cover leak. Recently it was a little sluggish and they cleaned the throttle body and it's all good. The only problems I had were a bad cac (replaced under warranty) and a recall for ball joints (poor machining). Other than tires, battery, belts, etc; no problems. And it's been on the beach probably 100 times or more.

Great vehicle, can't beat em. Good luck and enjoy the time on the beach!

definitely do the timing belt, my used one came with all the service records so i knew where i stood with that..and it was recently done

i like to use chevron techron every so often to keep things clean..have always used it on all my cars and i have never had any injector problems

a few really good sites out there that have a ton of info on these trucks

http://www.********.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/

http://www.********.com/f177/2000-4runner-wheel-size-165511/

Have 98 Limited 248K 2wheel drive had timing belt water pump replaced twice, one fuel injector, plugs are a real SOB mech said need a special tool almost to get at them I had well over 100K when I replaced them even though running fine, change oil/filter every 5K,Edmunds just put out report this 3000 mile Oil change is BS and actually wasting Good Oil your owners manual will say 5 K if using as a taxi or7.5 k normal use.

Check with mech,as I recall he told me that if timing belt broke the engine was a NIF non interference type (Belt break engine running no damage internal to engine) may have been wife Camry (4 cyl) he said had this type engine.( Wife Camry 95 I bought it gave it to her, i rarely drive it, garage kept and she just turned 68Kmiles,always serviced as required, and even had timing belt replaced at 10 years

wow $800.00 for belt/pump ,I had mine done twice for a few bucks more that your quote, then I recalled you have Union shop,,I also see my Mech and his wife at Golf Course quite often .

Have the water pump replaced while it's in. I have a timing chain not belt but my pump went somewhere around 140K. It will go eventually so why make an extra repair?