Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

Obama Event Draws Fire for Use of 'Cops as Props'

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Cops refusing to be lumped in with the politicians revoking the rights of the people :th:

Obama Event Draws Fire for Use of 'Cops as Props’

April 3, 2013

By Valerie Richardson

From the Colorado Observer

PROPS? Gun-rights advocates have decried the use of Denver police during President Obama’s gun control remarks here Wednesday

DENVER–President Obama’s gun-control speech Wednesday at the Denver Police Academy is expected to feature a backdrop of uniformed police officers, and that could be a problem.

A Denver officer has filed an ethics complaint after the department offered police the opportunity to appear in uniform behind the president during his remarks Wednesday at the Denver Police Academy.

“They’re using our brand to take sides,” DPD technician Danny Veith told 9NEWS. “Our image should not be used for one political party or another.”

A memo obtained by 9News says that the chance to appear with the president is strictly voluntary. Those scheduled to work that day may attend as staffing allows, meaning that officers may be paid for their participation.

Gun-rights advocates have decried the use of Denver police, arguing that their presence will imply that the department endorses the White House’s push for stricter gun-control laws. No ruling from the city’s ethics panel is expected before the event.

“It’s agenda based and they shouldn’t be there,” retired Denver police detective Mike Rossi told CBS4. “To me if you put Denver police officers behind the President, who is pushing this agenda, then what you are telling the citizens of the city is that the Denver Police Department is for this.”

News of the president’s arrival has sparked at least two Wednesday counter-events. The National Rifle Association is holding a “Stand Up for the Second Amendment” protest rally outside the academy during Mr. Obama’s appearance, which is slated to begin at 2:30 p.m.

Sixteen Colorado sheriffs are holding a news conference to speak out against the state’s gun-control measures at 1 p.m. at Thomas (Fred N.) Memorial Park in Denver, about a mile from the academy.

Mr. Obama is also slated to meet with community leaders and law-enforcement officials before his remarks.

:v:

Cops are part of the government. The government would rather people didn't have guns.

Regardless of what they say, the cops will always work toward that end.

Cops are part of the government. The government would rather people didn't have guns.

How many cops do you know squidly?

Not true. At least not the cops I know.

I used to believe that 99% of cops would prefer no citizen owned effective means of self defense.

This past year I have spent much more time around cops and have found that most cops have no illusion as to their ability to prevent crime and no problem with citizens defending themselves in the face of armed attackers.

I stand corrected.

I used to believe that 99% of cops would prefer no citizen owned effective means of self defense.

This past year I have spent much more time around cops and have found that most cops have no illusion as to their ability to prevent crime and no problem with citizens defending themselves in the face of armed attackers.

I stand corrected.

I agree but I also agree with Squidlips that the higher up in the ranks you go the more political motivation becomes apparent. The Police chiefs association it would appear enjoys nothing more than the curtailment of our Constitutional rights.

I agree but I also agree with Squidlips that the higher up in the ranks you go the more political motivation becomes apparent. The Police chiefs association it would appear enjoys nothing more than the curtailment of our Constitutional rights.

Of course one moment they rail against guns and magazine capacity, the next, they'll trip over themselves to get a "consultant" gig on any Hollywood shoot 'em movie.

Mercenaryscumbags

The muckety mucks are just being political - especially big city muckety mucks. These are the guys that sit on the police organization boards. They get appointed by dicks like Bloomberg. What the **** position do you expect they would take.

Many, many rank and file support second amendment rights.....

See, for example:

There is an inverse relationship between the rank of the officer and the degree to which law enforcement officials support rights of law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons for self-protection. The line officers, who spend the most time on the street and should be most threatened by the potential risk of additional permit holders, often express the greatest support for concealed carry laws. In contrast, the highest-ranking, often politically appointed officers, whose lives are least threatened, are the most vocal opponents of the law. Survey results showed that 76 percent of street officers and 59 percent of managerial officers agreed that all trained, responsible adults should be able to obtain handgun carry permits.

http://www.terry.uga.edu/~mustard/police.pdf

Why is it that there aren't any polls of rank and file officers on their position on gun control?

You would think that this would be a very very powerful weapon in the anti's pockets, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

Why is it that there aren't any polls of rank and file officers on their position on gun control?

You would think that this would be a very very powerful weapon in the anti's pockets, no?

My gut would say that cops are pro gun ownership,

but most likely support "gun control" laws that would address guns getting into the hands of criminals.

but that's based only on logic and not actual opinion polling.

No. because rank and file officers see that most of the gun violence on the beat is commited with hand guns.

The anti gun gang just wants to take away the scary looking black guns. The anti gun gang agenda has nothing to do with public safety.