Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
etsok1

Best tide and time for Spring fishing

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

This Spring I plan to really concentrate on a North Shore bay near my house. Lasy year the bay was already warm in February so the fish were in from very early. This year with the cold weather, the bay is still very cold and there is no action as of yet. My question is how does the back bay warm up and when is the best time and tide. I assume the incoming water warms up as it flows into the shallows and over the mud flats. If this is the case, is a late day incoming tide more productive than one earlier in the day since the daytime sun can really heat up the area ? On an outgoing tide does the warm water from estuaries and marshes in addition to the food washout make it a better tide than the incoming ? I plan to try all options and keep a log this year but any insight would be appreciated.

Outgoing in the early season water warms up on the flats and incoming later in the seasin cooler water comes in as a general rule of thumb. But try all times and places. On place might be great on the in and nothing on the out early in the season than later in the season its opposite

Fish both sides of the tides, put your time in and you'll figure out the productive stage of the tide and pattern on your own. Much more fun that way :th:

For early spring and especially right now with chilly temps letting the mud flats heat up and working the late day incoming may be your best bet. That is my strategy right now whether.from shore or kayak. The water is still pretty cold but next weeks forecast is looking good and should warm things up. Good luck!