Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steingm

Splinted Chamois Cinder Worm or Leech

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys and gals. I'm hoping to hit a worm swarm this spring and throw some of these new worm imitations I have been tying. "The Splinted Chamois Cinder Worm". The chamois has the profile and action to replicate the naturals and with the splint it won't wrap the bend of the hook during a cast. I went down to a cove the other day and made a bunch of terrible casts trying to get them to foul but it never happened. When they are dead drifted they tumble and contort like a wet noodle. Held in the current they wiggle freely. A foam head will keep them at the surface and a cone or beadhead will hop them along the bottom.

Now all I need is to hit a swarm to see how the fish like them. The chamois takes color from a permanent maker very well so they can be colored whatever you like. The natural color darkens to a sandy color so I am thinking sand eels and even bay anchovies also for the salt.

In fresh water it will imitate leeches, tadpoles, salamanders ect. so I believe the large and smallmouth with give them a taste.

Below are some short videos displaying 2 different techniques that result in different profiles when done.

Very nice SBS I've tied something similer in the past with died leather for Bass gave up on it because of fouling .I'm going to tie some more up with the mono stem great idea .BTW universal material ? Was a good company to bad their not around anymore.

great idea and cool video. thanks for sharing. have tried getting a really super rich red color. Are you using RIT to dye?

I really have no experience dying materials except for a couple tries with Cool Aid. You know I thought I could dye it without a problem but when I put the strips into very hot or boiling water they basically turned into Calamari that was cooked too long. The strips turned into thick rubber bands and lost the quality I wanted for this pattern. I then tried to put them in red wine (stains everything) rasberry juice from squeezed rasberries and the color just washed out. Next I'll try Beet juice. That stuff stains my counter tops when it is on them for a second. In the end I used Sharpie Permanent Markers in various colors, especially the pink, red and orange to imitate cinder worms.

Interesting. Microwaving with RIT in a small amount of water has worked for me with feathers: short burst in the microwave until desired color reached, never too long. This was with feathers, and the colors weren't terribly rich.

Tied these this afternoon haven't tried your way yet . But these I tried chenille heads and markers tough to cast when soaked but I did manage a nice Bass on a red one and a couple of stocked trout .

thanx.gif I'm going to tweak them up a bit maybe less chenille and a smaller hook and less length  and a little thinner. As they are now just a real pain to throw but the action is awesome.

Spread a thin layer of Tear Mender on the chamois then sprinkle on glitter in your choice of color. Next, press the glitter in with wet fingers. I've been using black glitter on Chamois worms for a couple of years.

I love the splint. The burnt ball on the end sure helps. I've been using a dozen or so paint brush hairs in place of the mono