Need Help Deciding Which Rod: Lamiglas 1081L or 1081M or Rainshadow SW1087

Rate this topic

fishingman88

So right now I am fishing a custom Lamiglas GSB1202L (10', Mod/Fast, 15-30, 1-3oz). I mainly utilize plugs that weight from 3/4oz to 1.5 oz. However, I feel like the 1202L doesn't have the sensitivity that I want when I am plugging for stripers in the bay. I do enjoy the backbone I have with the 1202L as I feel confident when reeling in bigger fish.

However, I am thinking about having another rod built that has a little bit more sensitivity and maybe around the 9' range. I've basically narrowed it down to the following rods:

1) Lamiglas 1081L

2) Lamiglas 1081M

3) Rainshadow SW1087

From everything I've read, the 1081L seems like a great choice for throwing the 3/4oz - 1.5 oz plugs, but I'm not sure if it has the backbone needed to handle 30#+ stripers. The 1081M looks like it has the backbone, but I am not sure if I will lose the sensitivity which I am trying to aim for. However, the SW1087 seems to be a good possibility where I can get a blend of sensitivity and backbone. I'd appreciate some input from people who have owned the above mentioned rods. Thank in advance SOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingman88 View Post

So right now I am fishing a custom Lamiglas GSB1202L (10', Mod/Fast, 15-30, 1-3oz). I mainly utilize plugs that weight from 3/4oz to 1.5 oz. However, I feel like the 1202L doesn't have the sensitivity that I want when I am plugging for stripers in the bay. I do enjoy the backbone I have with the 1202L as I feel confident when reeling in bigger fish.

However, I am thinking about having another rod built that has a little bit more sensitivity and maybe around the 9' range. I've basically narrowed it down to the following rods:

1) Lamiglas 1081L

2) Lamiglas 1081M

3) Rainshadow SW1087

From everything I've read, the 1081L seems like a great choice for throwing the 3/4oz - 1.5 oz plugs, but I'm not sure if it has the backbone needed to handle 30#+ stripers. The 1081M looks like it has the backbone, but I am not sure if I will lose the sensitivity which I am trying to aim for. However, the SW1087 seems to be a good possibility where I can get a blend of sensitivity and backbone. I'd appreciate some input from people who have owned the above mentioned rods. Thank in advance SOL.

I think you need to understand that it's a trade off...I know you DO already understand that, but sometimes we just need to hear it again. I would go with the 1081L so I had something that was completely different from my other rod. Why get a shorter rod that has the same lack of sensativity that you are trying to gain? Whether it can handle a 30# striper or not will be entirely up to you, not this rod. You'll just have to work the fish more rather than winch it in.

I have a couple of gsb 120 1l's and really like the rods but a couple of years ago I built a gsb 108 1m and it has become my go to rod for fall plugging. I recommend this rod for throwing 3/4 oz up to 2 1/2 oz. The gsb 108 1l will also give you the range you are looking for except 2 oz will be it's top end.

I have a couple of gsb 120 1l's and really like the rods but a couple of years ago I built a gsb 108 1m and it has become my go to rod for fall plugging. I recommend this rod for throwing 3/4 oz up to 2 1/2 oz. The gsb 108 1l will also give you the range you are looking for except 2 oz will be it's top end.

Hmmm...How would you rate the 1081M's sensitivity on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most sensitive) and then the 1081L's sensitivity?

I have the L.  I haven't caught a fish on it yet as I just got it, but I've really enjoyed casting on it.  I don't have a whole lot of experience with different gear but it's my favorite one so far for what I'm doing.  I had a Surf King that broke, very stiff action and no feel to it.  I also have a Tsunami Air Wave, Tony Maja bunker spoon rod, and a Penn Spinfisher.  

Sweet spot on the 108L seems to be 1 ounce and on the 108M seems to be 1 and a quarter. You could catch a 30 on the 108L but the fight would be too long if you have any intention of a release. Lastly, the 108L is a noodle. The M is far more versatile. I haved no issue catching anything from spec trout to chopper blues on it. All imho.

I think you need to understand that it's a trade off...I know you DO already understand that, but sometimes we just need to hear it again. I would go with the 1081L so I had something that was completely different from my other rod. Why get a shorter rod that has the same lack of sensativity that you are trying to gain? Whether it can handle a 30# striper or not will be entirely up to you, not this rod. You'll just have to work the fish more rather than winch it in.

This is very good rationale. Looks like I'm going to end up getting a 1081L. Looking forward to it. Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. Sometimes I just need some people to rebound these ideas off of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingman88 View Post

This is very good rationale. Looks like I'm going to end up getting a 1081L. Looking forward to it. Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. Sometimes I just need some people to rebound these ideas off of.

We all do from time to time, whether to tell us we are out of our goard or just to let us know what we are thinking is reasonable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artie Fishil View Post

imo the sweet spot on the m is closer to 2 oz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LY2000 View Post

Sweet spot on the 108L seems to be 1 ounce and on the 108M seems to be 1 and a quarter. You could catch a 30 on the 108L but the fight would be too long if you have any intention of a release. Lastly, the 108L is a noodle. The M is far more versatile. I haved no issue catching anything from spec trout to chopper blues on it. All imho.

Sweet spot is entirely up to the caster...Stronger casters (I mean muscle and twitch strength) will have sweet spots that are lighter than casters that aren't as strong. It depends entirely on how deep a caster can get X weight to load.

Quote:

Sweet spot is entirely up to the caster...Stronger casters (I mean muscle and twitch strength) will have sweet spots that are lighter than casters that aren't as strong. It depends entirely on how deep a caster can get X weight to load.

I think that timing helps determine the sweet spot rather than strength, just my opinion, based on a 5' 6'' surfcaster from years ago who really throw without the need for muscle.