Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xentury

Kids Surf Set-up?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Coming down to Tybee Island at the end of the month from Michigan to pretend that I know what Im doing and try to catch some fish. Would like to set up a rod for my 5 year old to hook into some whitting, But don't really know what to use as far as size goes for him. Up here a Zebco pushbutton off the side of the boat will keep him into the perch all day. Should I just stick with a similar set-up and treat it as a dispossable reel? I will have to cast it out for him (he currently can throw it about 10 feet), he is capable of taking it from there. Just wondering if any of you have set up for a little one before, and what I should use to get the most out of it for him. The sinker alone will probably be a little heavier than his biggest fish caught yet :)

When you get there, go to a reputable tackle shop (get recommendations from folks here and on the regional forum) that puts together combo rods. I got my kids their first rods last year and paid $60 for a pretty decent beginners spinning combo. It was a daiwa $20 reel plus a decent 6ft rod. One of my kids as already graduated to baitcastingover the summer/fall, and so now he has his own Abu Garcia ProMax on Vendetta baitcasting setup, but my 7yo will continue using the spinning setups this season. The cheap reels have some quirks like the bail not always setting by turning the handle, and the handle nut getting loose during the day, but my kid already learned that quickly on his own to set the bail manually first. Hey it's a $20 reel so no complaints.

As a young kid I used a small freshwater setup.  Spinning reel, real light weight.  Used to catch a mess of flounders on it down in Hatteras when I was your boys age.  

You get stripped out by bigger fish often?