Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; April 1 - April 15

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Back to the bi-weekly report routine, Here's hoping April gets off to nice lively start.

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? :)

Fished AI MD today from 3-6pm with bunker & fishbites (shrimp clam & bw) . . . One skate. Cool but nice. Hopefully the warm temps forecasted for next week will bring on the spring run.

Hit IRI Thursday and Friday evening for a few, threw buck tails and metal to no success. Out today on fenwick island first crossing, talked to a few guys no one had luck yet but nice day minus the wind. Frozen squid, FB crab and clam, fresh shrimp all in touched. Hopefully things will puck up soon gona go at it weekend of the 19 th.

Fished AI OSV beach friday No luck. Went to Oc inlet and back bay saturday no luck. Tried IRI saturday night and sunday morning. No fish. Tried fresh cut bait, Fishbites, Sand fleas, and Threw bucktils and other various lures. 2nd weekend in a row getting skunked. Hopefully the fish will be there next weekend.

You guys suck. You are ruining my whole theory of the smallie bite coinciding with the striper bite. Still no stabilization of water temps here....but it's trying. Big smallies to be had but very hard fishing. No concentrations of fish. Pick up the slack. :D

water temps still in the mid 40's out front.... hopefully after this week, things will pick up with the warmer weather.... heck im not sure the spawn is even under full swing in the bay yet. 2010, 2011, 2012 all had very warm weather the first part of April, which kicked things into gear ( I really remember the 2 days in 2010 that the temps hit 90, and catching a fish 2 weeks afterwards), .... this year, that few warm days in March or April just didn't happen.

heck im not sure the spawn is even under full swing in the bay yet.

I doubt if it has practically started. Spawning has been observed in water temps as low as 52* but doesn't really get going until 57-58* with 60-65* being ideal. Temps are the primary trigger but photoperiodism also plays a role.

According to Rutgers it looks like temps in the mid-bay tribs are now just entering the low to mid 50' but still cooler than that in the Susky. The good thing is photoperiodism is the trigger for the spawning migration so most of the fish should be staged near the spawning grounds by now. With this weeks warm temps and sunny days water temps should push up into spawning range in the mid-bay tribs like the Potomac and Nanticoke. Hopefully the weather pattern will stay warm and temps will get where they need to be in the upper bay tribs soon. It doesn't take long for the fish to spawn once it gets right.

If it had not warmed up this week I think chances for a good number of fish in the ocean by the first of May would have been very slim. Now I have some hope.

Hey JAL if you read this do you have any idea what the temp is now in Broad Creek?

Not sure about the water temps on the susky, but one of the charter captains I know caught 25 stripers trolling the flats this past Saturday, all males. A friend of mine and his son caught 6 stripers trolling the river on Saturday, 2 of which were females with big fat bellies. all in the 25-30 inch range. I would not have believed him since he is a friend but he showed me the photos of the 2 females. No reports of any cows yet.

Kind of was avoiding posting that so it would be a lttle less crowded. Oh well it was going to be crowded anyway...and I guess nobody knows where it is unless you are on that forum :)