Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r111

Cast leader for braid

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Gents,

I had "invented" this method last year after much trial, error and application of gray matter.

So here's the scenario way too many of us face at some point:

- love the braid

- want to use reasonable test, say 30-40# for casting distance, cost and sanity reasons

- but we do occasionally have to cast 4 oz sinker + a chunk of bunker - resulting in line tear on cast at best, at worst sending a subsonic chunk o lead into fellow fisherman's head ( aka "doing dick cheney with a 4 oz pellet").

- or, we got a heavy lure we want to launch to Portugal, ditto, the line might snap during the cast

Result: we develop the fear of casting, or end up with 80# line that can barely cast 30 yards. And now we need 1kg reel to hold all that line.

If you never faced this problem and/or think this is bogus issue, read no more :)

What are the FAS (frequently-advised-solutions)  for this issue ?

Simple: use a cast leader . Say 10-15 yards of much stronger line. Sounds good, but impossible to implement - there just doesn't seem to be a way to connect a thick mono to a braid, or a stronger braid to thinner braid with a knot that has any strength to it. I tried them all. I tried drop of superglue. Never passed strength tests.

Even if you manage to tie a mono to a braid in a strong knot, you'd end up with a giant size knot (compared to diameter of the braid) that will be tearing up the guides on your $400 rod on every cast.

The solution is brilliance, pure and simple, dirt cheap and ez to tie, works 100%, has a tiny knot size that slides through em guides like butter.

Say we want 10 yards of leader on 40# braid, of 80# strength. Or 100# on 50#. I can see the proverbial light going off in your head right now, thinking ... OMG ... so simple ! He's just doubling the line ! How come I never thought of it myself ?? !!!!

Cut off 10 meter of braid off the spool. Extend 10 meters (I am metric, cant you tell ?) of line out of reel.

Line up the 2 lines o , well, line.  Tie the simplest double-loop by the rod's tip (yeah, you'd have to bring the 10m of that double line through the knot twice, cry baby). Dunn !

Now you have 10 m of doubled-up line, of double strength, with a tiny @ss knot that is extremely strong. And, best of all, you're guaranteed of having not sacrificed the "main" line strength at all - you will have the full 40# of strength from reel to  fish. And you  have double the test the first 10m - so you really lean into that cast, w/o fear of line every rupturing. As usual, consult yer Doc before engaging into any strenious activity. Don't seek medical help if you find yerself casting  for more than 4 hrs.

Variations on the same theme: for the "double", use a different braid, say add 80# to 30# main line.

Make the doubled up line longer - say 15-20m, this way you'd have extra strong line for fighting/holding of the fish in rough surf.

You're welcome :)

i would suggest you work on your knots as there are a few that work for braid to heavy mono and are small enuff to cast. Or you could just tie a long bimini wich would be stronger than having a seperate section.

Much luv dispensed for my 1st post, but that's interwebs for you. That combined with unusually cold spring makes for grumpy men.

Shock leader is usually much shorter and almost uniformly is a non-braid, braid having 0 stretch. That and you'd want it to be less visible too.

Anyway, like I said, I tried all kinds of knots and none were strong enough. Knots were hammering the guides etc.

This solution has worked great for me, so if it helps few more fellow anglers, I'd take that :)

Much luv dispensed for my 1st post, but that's interwebs for you. That combined with unusually cold spring makes for grumpy men.

Shock leader is usually much shorter and almost uniformly is a non-braid, braid having 0 stretch. That and you'd want it to be less visible too.

Anyway, like I said, I tried all kinds of knots and none were strong enough. Knots were hammering the guides etc.

This solution has worked great for me, so if it helps few more fellow anglers, I'd take that :)

Intresting concept. there are some good knots that will work well braid to mono such as alberto.

Thanks fot posting your idea.

people are going to jump on you which is too bad. I thank you for sharing your ideas. Thats what places like this are for, then it is up to the reader to use or discard as they see fit.

Again, Thks for sharing your ideas and good luck.

What he described isn't a traditional shock leader. It's just a big doubled-over length of braid, a simple and creative idea. I hate normal braid to mono shock leaders. The knot drives me crazy.

I'm still waiting for someone to invent a 50lb hollow braid that opens up enough to slide 80lb mono into.

I can see this being useful to some degree with spinning gear. Having the doubled braid inside the guides and onto the spool. Fromt he tip of te rod to your clip/lure you could use a bite/rub leader.

Good idea, I've always done the Alberto for braid to mono. Never really had a problem with it except user error lol. But I'll for sure give it a shot just to check it out.

Red Philips knot never has a problem.  That's 65lb braid to 80lb shock leader.  

Shock leaders have been mono for a reason.  Braid has no stretch.  The line needs some give and elasticity for a proper shock leader, not just high test line.

wink.gif  I'll also say thanks for posting.

When you're new here, there are two different ways in which you might be seen:  either as new blood; or, fresh meat.  I like the new blood view in that most of us don't take to change very well, nevertheless, a fresh look can see new things.   wink.gif

When I was first new here, I learned that some:

• didn't like knots--or tag ends of mono knots going through the guides;

• used a mono shock leader;

• preferred a swivel on the end, to which retying/switching was easier; and,

• had fears of, or problems with the swivel smacking into, or going through, the tip-top guide in the dark.

I thought that I had imagined an essentially "no-knot," mono (as heavy as you want) shock leader and, a swivel about which one would have a forewarning that it was coming.  LL.jpg    Keep thinkingI appreciated the thought.

Braid, mono, swivels )