Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maruthu

Have you ever had issues due to Frame Flex with your conventional reel

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I am relatively new to fishing and started off with a Lami XS10MHC and an Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite about 8 years ago. I mostly fish with conventional gear with most of my reels being Abus in the 6500 and 7000/7500s range. Last year I wrecked one of my Abu (BG7000HS) while casting with 3oz T-Hex lure. I am thinking that the frame flexed during the cast and my spool axle jammed with the pinion gear. I am in the process of buying a Tiburon P20 frame for my Penn 505HS to fish for big GTs from the rocks using 40# mono.

I was wondering if anyone else out there had issues with frame flex with conventional gear?

Also, am I going to have issues with my Abu BG7000HS, even after I change the spool/axle and the pinion gear, due to the existing frame that might have flexed beyond recovery?

Cheers, Maruthu

I fish conventional gear 99.99% of the time. Some of the reels I use are Penn, Shimano, Daiwa, and of course Abu. I use the Abu for throwing plugs and tins. I have heard stories of the frame on the 6500 flexing but it has not happened to me. I usually won't use the 6500 for more than 4 oz. weights but have landed nice fish with it with out any problems. The fish in my profile pic was landed on a 6500 in the surf. It was a Sturgeon that was 6ft. and estimated to weigh over 100 lbs. The Abu held up fine. Good luck.

I fish conventional gear 99.99% of the time. Some of the reels I use are Penn, Shimano, Daiwa, and of course Abu. I use the Abu for throwing plugs and tins. I have heard stories of the frame on the 6500 flexing but it has not happened to me. I usually won't use the 6500 for more than 4 oz. weights but have landed nice fish with it with out any problems. The fish in my profile pic was landed on a 6500 in the surf. It was a Sturgeon that was 6ft. and estimated to weigh over 100 lbs. The Abu held up fine. Good luck.

Beached again, Thanks for the response!

I think that the pressure on the frame is more when casting a heavy lure than fighting a large fish, besides I do not catch anything big anyway .... LOL. I do not fish bait and hence do not go over 4 oz. Most of my reels are non level wind Abus and I'm pretty confident with those. But I do own an Abu 6500 CS Rocket (which I just started using a couple of months ago) and a couple of Abu 7000 reels with level wind. One of which is the BG7000HS, that had issues.

So, is that frame flex a permanent damage to frame. I'm sure that the pinion gear and the spool axle might have gone for a toss during the frame flex, but how about the frame itself?

Cheers, Maruthu

Maruthu I'm not sure about the frame flex being permanent. I would think even if you were able to get it back to it's original shape I don't think it would have it's original strength. I think it would be weakened by the flex. Once it is twisted and you twist it back it will weaken even more. This is just my guess. Perhaps some one with more knowledge of these reels will chime in. Good luck.

I don't think frame flex was the issue , 5500 and 6500 abus are used for tournament casting and have achieved over 900' with 5 and 6 oz sinkers and don't flex the frames.

What can be an issue is the gears re-engaging during the cast .

I've had momentum spin the handle on a hard cast with a 7000C3 and make the reel try to engage. It made an awful sound but was moving too fast to actually engage. Maybe this is what happened to you. I learned to have the knob facing towards the tiptop if I was going to cast hard.

I prefer reels with a clutch lever to those with a push button clutch for that reason.

Thank you all for your responses!

I don't think frame flex was the issue , 5500 and 6500 abus are used for tournament casting and have achieved over 900' with 5 and 6 oz sinkers and don't flex the frames.

What can be an issue is the gears re-engaging during the cast .

I've had momentum spin the handle on a hard cast with a 7000C3 and make the reel try to engage. It made an awful sound but was moving too fast to actually engage. Maybe this is what happened to you. I learned to have the knob facing towards the tiptop if I was going to cast hard.

I prefer reels with a clutch lever to those with a push button clutch for that reason.

The momentum moving the handle was usually an issue with my Abu 6500, but I have not ruined anything yet, I hope (knock on wood....) This was a bigger issue after the old style clutch holder with an external spring got damaged and I had to replace it with the new style that came with a weak internal spring. I even tried to see if I could do anything to precisely counter balance the power handle by using simple techniques like wrapping a rubber band to the counter balance side, but that was of no use. I had eventually ordered some old school clutch holder that I can use with an external spring (still with caution while casting, by having the knob at a position that will not turn because of momentum). But temporarily I am using an Abu double paddle chrome drilled handle and the issue is resolved, for now. Will mount the power handle once I get the old clutch holders that I have already ordered (which I am yet to receive).

I think the other day, when I had the issue with my Abu BG7000HS, I first thought that the gears would have engaged, but I think the push button was still pressed when the spool jammed :confused:

Thanks, Maruthu