Two handed rods in the surf......why?

Rate this topic

spruce

Esa,

My wife goes to an acupuncturist for a severe sciatica problem. She has done wonders for her. So much so that when I hurt myself - tennis elbow, shoulder pain - any sort of tendonitis - I go to her also and am healed in one or two sessions.

you may want to give it a try. but, like anything else, the practitioner has to be talented.

Regards,

Herb

I am a fisherman first but I have to admit I strongly prefer fishing fly rods over spin/conventional gear.  Fly gear is just more fun to me and when it becomes almost work, I will break out spin gear.  Fly rods, in my opinion, have an advantage in shallow waters where great distance isn't necessary.  Flies can out fish lures.   I have seen flies out fish bait and vice versa.

So if fish are 25ft down, in a tight spot, and drifting a fly is impossible... Your spin fishing buddy has the only game in town, I switch to spin. 

Now why TH rods?  Why not?  They throw bigger stuff easier and farther, my opinion again.  I can cast a SH rod 100ft doubling hauling it just fine, and I don't claim to be a great caster.  TH rods just make it easier from a land based position.

I am not going to push any manufacturers to make "my rod".  I'll take what I can get.  Sooner or later, a major manufacturer will give the NE guys what they need and when there is enough of a market for said rod.

vafishinpa,

100 feet measured cast with a SH rod is world class not many Guys can do it in reality.

You can use current fresh water TH rods as you suggest and all you will get mostly is a totally miserable experience in the main trying to cast in real world beach conditions with rods designed for in the main Spey casting. This is why Herb and myself embarked on a project to design and build surf worthy TH fly rods.

A good 10 wt SH fly rod will out perform a fresh water designated TH fly rod in most situations.

Me and Herb were not happy to wait on our butts for others to maybe eventually build what we needed so we did it the hard way and designed and developed our own range of TH Surf Fly rods. The market is globally very hard to determine but if it was big the large Players would be fully engaged right now but they are not. The few TH surf fly rods out there are mostly too short at around 11 feet and have limited pay loads.

Can't understand why you say you would not push any manufacturere to make your rod except that most are not going to respond to individual requests but you are happy to settle for rods which quite honestly do not cut in on a wind blown surf beach. I have been there and it was the failure of the current FW TH rods to cut it in the Ocean that was the driver for me and Herb to develop our own range of TH Beach fly Rods that can cut it in an ocean envoirament.

The drivers were there and we took the challange head on. Serious Out Front TH Fishers are as rare as rocking horse dung currently which is why we have not had the major rod makers play in the tiny market place and the ones that have. have rods that for us do not cut it too short and lack power. Me and Herb are way too old to wait on others so we tackled the job ourselves. We are still on the journey looking to improve on what we have already. Crazy stuff but a lot of fun. Keeps me poor but motivated and dare I say it happy.:D

Mike

Mike,

Well, I guess that I am not a "serious TH" beach guy and I mean that sincerely.  I am 80miles from the nearest Ocean Beach, if I lived closer I would be more gonzo for the beach front.  I love the beach, still relatively young, and if it is too snotty for my gear I will relocate.  Too little time to bang my head on the wall.  I use what I have to the best of my ability, if I cannot get it done I feel that it is my ability that is failing not my gear. Time for me to practice in other words.

Why won't I push a manufacturer?  Quite frankly, I don't think I have any business pushing.  I am not an innovator when it comes to rods or have a disposable income.  Guys who fish the beach front all the time are the guys to do the talking.  I'll sign whatever petition or add my name to whatever list to get a wicked surf rod built.  Don't know if I can afford said rod, I need rods that are more general purpose.

Please call me Chris... Vafishinpa is just my call sign.  Born in Virginia and now Live/fish in Pennsylvania.

Chris

Chris,

Sometimes it is not about a lack of ability with the Angler but limitations with the gear. This is what drove Herb and myself to develop TH Fly Surf Rods as nothing commercially available could cut it well enough for us.

You could be world class with a fresh water TH fly rod but take that same rod to a windy old beach and you would struggle. It is not aways the user but at times it can be the gear.

You can obtain a general purpose Surf TH fly rod now. Of course its possible to utalise fresh water TH fly rods but they are not always the best tools for the job. I just got fed up making compromises and getting blown out of the game. Herb felt pretty much the same way.

Chris nothing wrong I feel in letting makers know what you want for if we do not petition then nothing will advance. My own motivation was driven by the non availability of purpose designed and built Surf TH fly rods.

I don't have deep pockets either and it has been an expensive journey but I have had a lot of fun doing it.

You are very honest about your ability side of things but it can be the case that it is the gear and not the Angler at times. Sometimes Chris a general purpose TH rod will not quite cut it. Sorry for delay I just had to take a sudden visist to A+E

Mike

Yes Mike, I won't cast a SH rod for a month and then only if there is no pain and I'm careful with TH rod as well.

Thanks Herb! Last fall I had chronic pain in my left shoulder and it went away with 20min session and eight needles which was done by "pain specialized" MD but she found there was constant cramp of rear deltoid muscle. Perhaps acupuncture is not so effective with infection type of injury but I will do some research.

Esa

"Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once" 1939 Lee Wulff

One day I want to hang with you guys and pick your brains.  I know gear can be limiting and I support those who innovate.   When it is snotty, I get off the beach/jetty.  Generally, I find an inlet and hide from the waves.  It has to be murder trying to mend in the snotty stuff and keep touch with your fly. 

Chris,

You are very welcome to fish with me usually it is Cape Cod spring time and LI in the fall. Hopefully you will discover that we can stay fishing happiliy and enjoyably in less than clement conditions with the fly rod. Also that the challange is fun and a bit of an adventure. It's good to be able to mix it with the spin Guys.

Mike