Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gregorjim

cheap rotary vise?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have a friend who wants to do some fly tying..I have a Dyna King Barracuda Which I love, but its hard to push a $400 vise on a beggineer...Anyone have a Crown Rotary that runs $40..Saw it at Fly Shack, & figure its about the cheapest at that price...Any imput on this vise ..Or any ideas on a decent starter vise? Thanks for imput, Jim:

My starter vise (I still have it) was this Super II vise...has 3 sets of jaws and cost me under $20. You can fine these at Bass Pro or Hook and Hackle...Great way to start with little investment.....as you see...I still use mine for tying jigs.

Concidering what I started out with you have a lot of choices I have no imput on the Crown Vise but you do get what you pay for .If you feel he will stick with tying flies he be better off looking at something of higher quality. My self I like the renz travler vices not big money but very usefull.

x2 for the Danvise.

It was my second vise and I've tied lots of flies from Trout to Pike/Saltwater flies for years, before moving to a Barracuda.

It's a good vise for the price, rotatory and will serve your friend well until he is ready to move for a top vise.

I still keep mine as a travel vise.

Found a old Thompson AA vise in the man cave,& I'll let her use it till she decides whether She's serious about the full commitmite of fly tying..A lot of friends see the total investment in equiptment & fade out.. Thanks, Jim

As far as cheap, the $20 simple cam vise is where I started like the Thomspon or Super vise.  Simple design so there is less to malfunction and frustration.

Cheap rotary...  I have a Griffin Spyder that I have added onto for almost a decade.  $80 American made.  My daughter uses the vise now since I nabbed a used Renzetti Pres 4000.

I suggest a Danvise. I tied on one for years and it is an excellent vise and does everything the big names can do.

Still the vise I use - no reason to buy another, does everything I ask of it.

Danvise sells an extension arm which gets the fly away from the vise "post" makes it easier to get your hands in to tie some flies. I really like it.