Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

Why is the Torque not popular??

Rate this topic

626 posts in this topic

been watching all the reel threads in here (and other forums) and am wondering why the Torque(spinning reel) has not gained everyone's favor on here?? It seemingly appeals to boat anglers more than surfcasters, but there ARE SOME guys who use it quite happily for all their fishing. so how come?? how come it isn't the cats @ss like VS or ZB- but for hundreds less??

heres my take- its funny looking. and I'm not even thinking about the gold one. the black is at least somewhat Ok, but they totally missed the "curb appeal" factor with this reel.

whaddya think?

I think the look has a lot to do with it, I don't think Penn is known for making sexy looking Spinners, and unfortunatly sex sells!

Outside how they will/wont perform over time i think the new Quantum Cabo's are a hot looking reel, and so is the new Stella SWB

Even the new Spinfisher V (especialy the spool) looks a bit average, just my 2c..

I think it is more about the fact that most people go with what you know.  I think VS has a long track record with the guys who dunk away and swim to rocks so it is a known entity.  Guys know that they can pick up a used VS for 5-600 bucks and they "know" it will work with minimal problems from VS's track record.  Of course this is just a mindset.  I think once the Torque is fished hard for a few seasons by a few notable guys it will catch on more once it has some "Street credit."  

As far as looks I think the black ones are "sexy" but that is a personal opinion so I don't know if the "look" is killing the reels popularity too much but hard to say.  I do think think the fact it is a few more ounces than a VS has (why I don't know) but guys seem to be zeroing in on the weight of the reel.  I think there is a misconception that it is a "heavy" reel which I don't think it is.  I own a bail-less 7 and 

5 and think they are both pretty great reels!  Both are work horses, awesome drags, smooth retrieve, cast well and picked up both of them new for under 500 ea so what is not to love.

One last after thought is in my opinion Penn is doing the Torque a bit of a disservice by coming out with all these new reels so soon after they made what I believe is an outstanding one in the Torque (i.e the spinfisher etc.).  It is a little distracting and takes away from the momentum.  All the recent chatter about a new 704 just would slow down people purchasing a torque no?

Just my opinions....

Penn was too late to the market with it. VS has been around close to 20 years at this point. Z has been around a while too and comes from the original VS designer. The boat crowd relies on teh stella and saltiga.

It's a good reel but not better than what's currently out there. No one is going to dump their VS for a torque. I might be in the market for a new reel soon. 99% it will be a VS, may look at a Z, might consider a Saltiga but won't consider a torque. Maybe when the reel is out 8-10 years and proven but not before then.

They're also butt ugly but that wouldn't stop me if I knew it was the better option....

they need to offer new color schemes :) like a matte black body and gloss black accents

I went with the VS for it's "heritage" - I know I'm not going to have any issues and if I do, it's a freak occurrence. I wished I could've got a ZB tho - because as far as looks go, the ZB is where it's at

I personlly think it is nothing more than perception. Surffishing in particular has a very traditional mindset. Cracking that group is tough stuff. I have Vaan Staals. When I purchace another reel it will be another VS. I am totally aware that they have a couple of short commings but I have had a great experience with the ones I own now and don't see a need to change at this point. In many circles the ZB has had troubles gaining traction in spite of the fact they were both born from the same father and in reality the ZB design was supposed to address all of the shortcommings of it's oloder brother. My prediction is it ain't over yet. Give it a year or so and a new playah will spark more insesive ,endless threads on the new kid in town. Will it last? Which is better?Where is it made? I am not sure if I am looking forward to it or dreading it. :horse:

Oh yea,the torque. In my opinion if they made a better effort to get them in the hands of some of the more respected guys out there who have been at it a while ,they in turn would be giving some words of praise by the older players in the game ,in turn creating interest from some of the newer guys which would likely be the target demographic . It is so hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Well that's my take on it anyhow :worms:

I bought a Penn Torque (bailed) and used it with the confidence that I finally had a sealed reel. Figured I'd give it a try, I've used Penn Battles and thought it would be the workhorse they advertised.

It worked great for a half dozen trips until the bail separated, not broken or damaged mind you, its a two piece bail, not solid one piece and it separated in the male/female socket, unusable.

Well it was a very angry walk back to the car. A very poor design. After something like that it would be hard for me to buy another one, even a bail-less.

I think its due to price and reputation. Penns image definitely took a hit last decade during the ownership changes and production changes. Also the super spinners....Van Staal, Stella, and later Zeebaas....really became popular in that time frame and built reputation. Penn was late to game and while the Torque was $100 cheaper than the competition, most people who are already dropping 6 bills figure they can drop another bill and get one of the big 3. Its that mentality where if you are already are buying a luxury good might as well buy the best. Same reason people buy import sports cars over cheaper american sports cars. I own a Torque 5 and really like it so far. I'm actually looking for a 7 and hope they catch on more. With the New prices on the Stellas maybe it will convert a few more people.

I personlly think it is nothing more than perception. Surffishing in particular has a very traditional mindset. Cracking that group is tough stuff. I have Vaan Staals. When I purchace another reel it will be another VS. I am totally aware that they have a couple of short commings but I have had a great experience with the ones I own now and don't see a need to change at this point. In many circles the ZB has had troubles gaining traction in spite of the fact they were both born from the same father and in reality the ZB design was supposed to address all of the shortcommings of it's oloder brother. My prediction is it ain't over yet. Give it a year or so and a new playah will spark more insesive ,endless threads on the new kid in town. Will it last? Which is better?Where is it made? I am not sure if I am looking forward to it or dreading it. :horse:

Oh yea,the torque. In my opinion if they made a better effort to get them in the hands of some of the more respected guys out there who have been at it a while ,they in turn would be giving some words of praise by the older players in the game ,in turn creating interest from some of the newer guys which would likely be the target demographic . It is so hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Well that's my take on it anyhow :worms:

^^^^^ couldn't agree more.

I bought a Penn Torque (bailed) and used it with the confidence that I finally had a sealed reel. Figured I'd give it a try, I've used Penn Battles and thought it would be the workhorse they advertised.

It worked great for a half dozen trips until the bail separated, not broken or damaged mind you, its a two piece bail, not solid one piece and it separated in the male/female socket, unusable.

Well it was a very angry walk back to the car. A very poor design. After something like that it would be hard for me to buy another one, even a bail-less.

Sea of Atlas,

Not sure if you ever contacted us but if you still have your reel we will repair it 100% under warranty. The number 1 reason we are on SOL is to communicate directly with the members, and expedite any kind of service or parts request you may need. If you still have your reel PM us. Thanks.

tony