Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pl978

Quinapoxet River

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I've been trying to find a thread about the Quiny, but can't seem to find any. I'm looking forward to fishing the Quiny this year, how's the fishing at the quiny? Care to share?

Nice this time of year with stocked rainbows. Has lotsa native Brookies and even an occassional brown. I've even caught parr salmon. Lots of pocket water, boulders etc. easy access from the rail trail. Also try trout brook which runs into the quinine and also holds fish. I like walking in from trout brook.

The Quinny is a great spot, a beautiful river. The good news...easy access. The bad news...easy access. The place gets just to crowded for my liking, but if you can get there on a day off or at first light its enjoyable. And there are some less traveled sections of the Quinny, you just have to do some exploring.

I love fly fishing the Quinnie. I can careless about the stockie rainbows that are put in there. I mostly target wild browns and native brookies. Too bad it gets a lot of pressure during the stocking season. Summer time you'll find less pressure and anglers. If there were to be another FF C&R section in MA this should be one of them.

My ALMOST first warden ticket came fishing the Quiny. I'm fly fishing the river about this time of year and decide to try my luck on the other side of the dam. I'm fishing away and a warden comes up to me ask me what I'm doing and of course in my most non sarcastic answer I tell him that I'm fishing. At that point he mentions to me in his most I'm going to arrest your ass that fishing season in the reservoir has not yet opened!!!!!!

At that point we became instant friends and I slink off with fishing gear in hand :)

I used to really enjoy fishing this river.

One summer day, back in the late 60s, my Dad and I were fly fishing below the second bridge off what I think was River Rd. Hot mid summer day. We were there waiting for the evening hatch. There was a guy fly fishing below the bridge. Really seemed to know his stuff. But, he was throwing large smelt patterns. :confused: Right before dusk, I saw him hook up and catch what was still one of the biggest trout I've ever seen to this day. He must have fought it for 20 minutes. When he landed it, he showed me the other one he caught an hour earlier.:shock:

Both were between 5-6lbs. My Dad asked him about them, and he said they came up from the Res. I was only 14 or 15 years old, and had no idea if they were landlocks, lakers, browns or rainbows.

..Hania and I raised our two girls at the top of the sandhill where the Quinnie makes up to the Wachusett...somehow the girls took to fishing it like demons....we helped the caretaker at the turbines weigh a salmoniod head during clean out- the head weighed 12 pounds...

personal best for that river is a 4 pound plus brown from the cable hole in 74 on a shiner..yup, a live shiner tried on a whim...below the falls not fishing in the outflow illegally before 9-11 I caught a few lakers that would bump eight pounds...that would be in the early 80's when those were decent fish, but not outstanding..

nobody could fish that stream with more just plain joy than my old pal Sonny Nelson, one of the areas most generous and knowledgeable sportsman....

The Quinnie and Stillwater are both jewels...

Hi all,

Great thread. Its crazy hearing about stories of 4 lb fish from this watershed. I know its more than possible down by the resevoir, as i see 30" lakers sitting 3 feet off the shore all the time below the Pumping station. But the cable pool? Now thats something. I doubt theres anything that big upstream anymore, thanks to the beavers, stormwater damage, and development. I've got a website quinapoxetriverflyfishing.******** dedicated to fly fishing the Quinnie (and other central MA streams). Would be great to hear some of your stories and favorite places to hit.

My Dad and I only would fish salt water on weekends b/c of his work. So to fill in the blanks, we'd fly fish rivers like the Quinny and Swift right through the summer.

The Quinny would produce some amazing hatches right into mid August. I can still remember the water clarity back then. The Swift in Belchertown was gin clear, just as it is to this day. But even the Quinny wasn't that far off. Sort of like gin on the rocks with a twist of orange. ;)

Seems all these river are dying at a rapid pace.

I went to scope out the Quiney this spring for the first time in years.... I was fishing the bridge area at the resy and was about to move somewhere else, but first drove down River Rd.

THERE'S A STEEL GATE ACROSS THE ROAD THERE KEEPING YOU FROM GETTING TO THE RIVER!

I guess you have to go all the way around Laurel St to get to the fishing areas now? Massachusetts sure want's people to waste gas! It's a long, long, long way around to get to the little falls.

I went to scope out the Quiney this spring for the first time in years.... I was fishing the bridge area at the resy and was about to move somewhere else, but first drove down River Rd.

THERE'S A STEEL GATE ACROSS THE ROAD THERE KEEPING YOU FROM GETTING TO THE RIVER!

I guess you have to go all the way around Laurel St to get to the fishing areas now? Massachusetts sure want's people to waste gas! It's a long, long, long way around to get to the little falls.

Well, now who do you think controls that land and puts up the gates?