Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish

525 MAG

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

can anyone provide any info on this reel? it's performance in YOUR opinion. what rods would best match the reel? what types of lines to use whether mono/braid etc. thanks in advance!!!!

Mickey,

Welcome to the site, you'll find great people with tons of helpful information here. biggrin.gif

I've been giving the 525 an honest woopin this year on a Lamiglass XS91MHC. The rod goes great with this reel, nice balance and plenty of backbone. The reel, so far, is unbelievable, I absolutely love it. It cast great, faster retrieve than most, great drag, smooth and strong, I highly recommend this reel. biggrin.gif The only problem to date with the reel is the handle tends to tighten up and must be lubricated every trip, the tolerances are too tight, I'm sure it'll loosen up.

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Dubs, you crack me up! eek.gif"Lubricated every trip"...being that you ask me for the oil, I'll bet you may have oiled it 3 or 4 times since you got it in December...5 at the outside! Geesh, I bet we only have been rinsing the salt out of the reels every 6th trip much less oiling them each time out. A lil exageration, perhaps? wink.gif

Mikeybluefish, the Penn 525 Mags were purchased when I was told how solid they were. I wasn't mislead. Rock solid, excellent casting reel, the best drag in this size reel...and a larger line capacity that the Calcutta 400 or any of the Abu 6500 class reels...about 20% more if I were to guess. They don't offer a levelwind but that's fine, it's a tough reel to be sure.

Welcome to StripersOnline, make yourself at home.

TimS

Every time I don't oil the handle I end up dumping fresh water on it about ever 1/2 hour, it's just a little stiff. biggrin.gif Other than that it's great.

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I have thrown the reel on three rods, fishing it on two of them I am guessing Tim has his on a 9 foot loomis SWR108-20C I havr the same rod and the reel was fine on it. I also have had it matched with a Allstar 1208 (10 footer) and 2pc/1pc (12 feet 4 inches) and it has been great in any of those rods......I have thrown Mono and fireline on mine with good results.

It depnds on what ya wanna do with the rod. For plugs and jgs the Loomis is a good choice. For heavier jogs 2-3 ounces and up as well as bait the 1208 is good and for heaving heavy weight a long way the 2/1 is a good choice.

Oh I see my moniker has changed smile.gif I sure do post alot, the pearls of wisdon I dispense smile.gif. I am not sure baout elite memeber maybe a betterone would be elite goof off at work biggrin.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by John M (edited 07-18-2000).]

thanks john! would u happen to know if st. croix makes a rod which i could use with this reel ....one that may be able to perform well as a baitslinger/plug rod???

No idea if St Croix has a rod like that. I know that finding a rod that wil toss bait and lures can be tough. Its hard to get optimal perfomance for bait and lures int he same rod. St Croix makes a 10 footer I think it might be okay for bait but lures might be a problem with it....I really cant think of anyrod that will do both well....maybe someone else has an idea........I have a 10 foot lami that tosses bait well and thows bombers okay bit now your taalking cusotm and 250$ I can recomned a blank that I think might fit the bill. the All-star 1207. Looks like it will toss lures and maybe 5 ounces well......

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Yup. I use it on the Loomis SUR108-20C. It throws 3/4oz to 4oz very well. Charlie's Lami XS91MHC throws up to 5oz well. I'd recommend the Lami for the fact that it'll save you about $60...if it weren't for the extra $$, I'd recommend the Loomis...mine's been a faithful companion for years! wink.gif

TimS

I'm also seriously looking at the 525 Mag to be my first baitcasting reel for the surf. I'm really looking at the St. Croix 10'6" 8oz for a match. It would be a reatively inexpensive heaver setup. St. Croix also makes a really nice 11' heaver in the Benn Doerr elite which I use with a spinning rod. If I had the bucks (which I may get anyway) I'd have Tres' crew whip me up one of his 2pc/1pc lites. I've got a 2pc/1pc now made by Hatteras Jack but it gets pretty heavy after a while...but man do those things throw weight & bait...wicked! When I actually saw the same rod made by Tres I kicked myself...what a pretty rod.

My concern with the 525 Mag is the anti-backlash feature. Being a spin guy I have a tendency to really put some muscle into it...which when using a friends baitcaster has ended up as a birds nest redface.gif Ummmm Oooops...here you can have it back..hehe....uh yea

------------------

Gil

gull.gif

http://www.magpage.com/~gil/beach.html

gil@magpage.com

[This message has been edited by Gil (edited 07-18-2000).]

Gil, Tres does make a nice rod, actually its his builder Wayne who makes them, he is a maestro. I have a 2/1 from Tres and its not too bad weight wise, but I havent held it on a long night at thepoint yet. I and others are trying to get Tres to iffer just the tip sections of the 2/1 light. There are times when the heavier tip is too much and the light tip would be great.

As for the 525. Its a tough reel to learn on in my opinion. It casts wonderfully and the drag is top notvh but its touchy. I have been dropping casts about 135 yards with it on my 2/1 not impressive I know but I just started this year working on long casting. I have hit intot he 160s but that was more an accident than anything. My problem with the reel right now is when I really power up and go for a long long cast I usually cant contrlol it. When I really need the extra distance I have been goign with my mag elite, I have better control. I hope to master the 525 this summer in time for the fall drum run biggrin.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John, I gather from what I read in a couple of Tres' posts that it took you a while to switch over to a non-level wind reel. If this is true can you comment on how you feel about the switch. I am probably going to end up with a non-level wind as well and I am not comforatable at all with a right hand retrieve baitcaster either which is pretty much mandatory with the lack of lefty heavy baitcasters on the market.

I just wanted to get a feeling for how much of a learning curve to expect when I switch to both a righty reel and a non-level wind and a rod much longer and heavier than I am used to. Right now I am thinking about the 525 on one of Tres' 2pc/1pc.

Thanks for the help.

Rui

Rui, I have used both levelwind and non levelwind reels in the past. Tres was commenting that I had bought a levelwind Mag from him this spring and I had it on my heaver at one point. I have 2 mags one with a level wind and one without (that I bought last year) Not having a levelwind means you have to keep an eye how you are laying your line on the reel during the retrive. Personally I prefer the non levelwind but sometime having a levelwind is nice (like when plugging) thats why I have one of each. Its worth the pain to learn a right handed reel. The selection on left retrieve reels is lousy and availability is a joke usually.

The 2/1 is a beast, I have put 12 ounces on mine and tossed it and the rod didnt labor. The rod takes practice smile.gif I take mine out a couple times a week and throw int he field. ITs the only way to get accustomed to the longer heavier rod. This rod is capable of throwing 6 ounces over 200 yards in its fihsing set up biggrin.gif but it takes practice practice, every week my casts get longer and more consistent.

One thing you might want to consider is, the 2/1 light. Its the same rod basically but it has a lighter tip section. The 2/1 regualr is good for the point and heavy water, but would be overkill for smaller bass up here. The light tip will toss 8 and bait too but it will work at lower weights as well. I watched Tres whip a 48 inch drum and 60# cobia on the 2/1 light this past june. We are trying to get Tres to offer just the light tip for those of us who already have the 2/1 regular.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John, thanks for the responce, I guess all I need now is a swift kick to place the order. The sooner the better too I guess since alot of practice will be in order.

Thanks again,

Rui

The Penn 525 is a nice reel, no doubt, I'm quite happy with mine. The mag control is very serious, just one click higher or lower, and you'll need to adjust your thumb accordingly. The Mag Elite has better spool controls, possibly the best I've come across. There's a tension know on each side of the spool, each adding pressure in a different fashion, and the magnets are a big influence as well. For a beginner, I'd recommend the Mag Elite, probably with a level-wind. For someone who's been there, done that, got the T-shirt, go with the 525 Mag...unless you would like to keep the level wind, a nice feature as John noted when plugging, not important when heavin'...a 150yd cast gives you plenty of time and practice getting the line on the spool comfortably!

I have the Penn's in stock, $142.99 and $5 shipping. For the lefties, I've also got the Abu 6501 C-3, it won't cast quite as far as the Mag Elite, but it'll take more abuse and it holds the same amount of line. Matter of fact, there's one on the auction as we speak, to end pretty soon if I remember correctly.

http://www.StripersOnline.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl

TimS