Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassmaster91

Any torqeedo ultralight owners out there?

91 posts in this topic

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it ........... I have it on a Pro Angler .......... get 5-6 MPH top speed ...... quick on and off the yak ...... 15 lbs total weight w/battery ....... dual kill switch ......... boat type controller that has a battery meter built in and tells you how much time and distance left on battery .......... etc etc etc.

Several at MKF bought them this year too .......... PM me if you want to discuss .......

buddy of mine has one on an outback......it flies, but it's really really noisy. Loud high pitched whine that's easily audible 50 ft away at higher speeds. Sure is fast though.

You can hear mine when it's wide open but it is not blaring ............. much quieter at low speeds when trolling. You have to remember, these are built for speed for Kayaks. The entire system has a tiny footprint and weighs 15 pounds including the mount, engine, battery and controller. Most of the other systems use engines built for power. Those engines move bass boats weighing over 10 times the weight of a Yak. Those systems weigh over 100 lbs with a comparable battery, mount etc and have a footprint that is much larger.

Also easy on and off and easy to store. Even comes with it's own storage bag with a carrying strap.

At the price you could make your own for half that cost. $1800 I have a 30# thrust minkota that only cost $120 I could chop up and buy wire etc. about the only thing tough would be the had control and gauges. Idk I guess it's nice if you wanna spend that much

At the price you could make your own for half that cost. $1800 I have a 30# thrust minkota that only cost $120 I could chop up and buy wire etc. about the only thing tough would be the had control and gauges. Idk I guess it's nice if you wanna spend that much

The minkota is way heavier and doesn't come with a battery, after getting a battery your talking about a lot of extra weight. It's awesome you made one for such a good price but there's more to the torqeedo than most think. GPS hand controller that gives you exact mileage and battery percentage left based on current on the water conditions not to mention the whole system weighs a tad over 15 pounds. I considered the minkota option for two months and decided I'd rather spend the money and not have to worry about anything besides getting up and going and knowing exactly how much farther I can go before I'm out of battery.

Yeah. They do sell digital meters for batteries though. Just sayin. For someone like me that is handy and doesn't have $ to blow. Def looks cool and its German made so I'm sure it's top quality.

Yes but your digital meters won't give you exact mileage left and for me that is a huge plus, as is the weight. 15 lbs compared to 75+ is a huge difference. I'm handy myself but would rather have something that is top quality and made for kayaks not for boats.

Yeah. Def. less involved with the taquito. Lol

I saw a video in the web. Man the kayak flies with that thing on it. That's great for trolling too I bet. The replacement battery is like 500$ I wonder how long it lasts before you have to replace it

Actually the battery is @ $650. .........Vwcrackerjack ........ I'm with ya. Used to think that way too. I bought another much cheaper system. It is a side mount that fits in the rod holder holes and it works great. I bought a 30# thrust engine then a 50# ( I think) engine and they both worked but the battery weighed @ 70 lbs and the engine weighed @40 I think. It worked but it was bulky, heavy and didn't give the battery life or speed I wanted and 1 time I almost turtled in a Hobie Pro Angler when I reached for the throttle/steering nose/arm and the battery shifted. All I could think of at that point was me going over and the Yak continuing on without me. I also looked at the other rear mounts but they were well over $1000 when you added all the options.

Torqeedo looked neat but no one could explain to me why I should have 1 or justify the cost. That is until I was introduced to Chad Hoover. He convinced me to try 1 on loan from him when he was in Virginia. I did and I realized the value of this system. This is the first and only system that is engineered from the ground up for the Kayak ....... every piece. It is not a collection of stuff that is out there to use on the Kayak. The engine and propeller is designed for speed and not just the power to push a 2000 lb boat. The controller is designed to give you the speed and control to get you out and back without running out of power because it tells you how much time and distance you have left at that speed because of the gps that is built into the battery. The engine lift and reverse lock are done by cords. At first I thought they were cheap and hokie ........ but after using them I appreciated the simplicity and elegance of the design. The mount is by a ball and arm that I hated at first but now I realize that it gives you the ultimate in versitility because it will fit and adjust to any kayak surface to give you a precision mount. The engine mount on the rod is held on by 2 screws. Loosen them and it comes off in seconds so it takes no time to put on and take off. It even has 2 great kill switches. The first is a magnetic puck that has to be on the controller for it to go and the second is a switch that turns off the engine if you turtle so you don't have to deal with a spinning prop or a kayak that is under power and running away from you when you are trying to right the yak and get back in it. ........ and then there is that $650 battery .......... God I love that battery. It's light enough to float and has a very smal footprint. It fits next to my seat on my PA so the entire back of the yak is open for whatever. It hooks up by 2 plugs ..... 1 for the engine and 1 for the controller .... that's it ... 30 seconds or less to hook up. It's made of Lithium Magnesium ........... while lead core batteries give you about 50% of their potential before they lose the voltage necessary to power the engine, this battery gives you 100% of the potential so you have longer run times. True ..... at the highest speed you get limited runtime .......... just slightly less and you run all day on a battery. I'm a speed freak so I have 2 batteries. You can also get a solar charger that will run the engine at 2.5 mph as long as the sun is out so you could potentially never run out.

Anyway ........ yeah ... it's expenive ......... but if you do a comparison with other systems out there and include all of the options to get it close to the Torqeedo ....... the price is not that much different and you get stuff you need that you can't get with the other systems. ie Efficient design, compact foot print, almost no weight, engineered and built specifically for a yak ...... longest battery life .........and it is just so cool to drive .........

I will warn you now NOT to find someone that has 1 and try it ......... cause if you do ..........you won't be happy till you have 1 ........ trust me .....I know 1st hand

When I demoed the system on an Outback the first year I was disappointed on the battery life. We were fishing at night under bridges and using the motor to hold position in strong currents. We were only getting three hours of battery time. Now I imagine it would last all day on a calm lake but it didn't work for me in the situation I was using it for.

When I demoed the system on an Outback the first year I was disappointed on the battery life. We were fishing at night under bridges and using the motor to hold position in strong currents. We were only getting three hours of battery time. Now I imagine it would last all day on a calm lake but it didn't work for me in the situation I was using it for.

I'm guessing you were at full throttle?

I'm

Sure with a more efficient hull you could have bought yourself some more time out on the water

Edit- you demoed the 402 system or the 403?

The original Hobie system the first season it was introduced. I gave up on it after that.

The main change between the old model and the new model Torqeedo is 40% more battery life/power. Besides, the old 1 was still equal to or greater than the lead core batteries ........ especially with the 45 lb or greater engines ........