Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leo R

Yak beginner

5 posts in this topic

Okay, all you experts out there, how about please helping out a beginner. I've been frustrated too often by fish working out of casting range and have dedcided to join the yakers I see out there catching fish. I have several beginner questions:

1- What kind is favored and why - std. or sit-on-top?

2- Are waders worn when yaking?

3- How wet does one get?

4- Does capsizing happen often?

5- I'm planning to attend the March show to see the various vendor kayak models and plan to concentrate on Ocean, Cobra, and Wilderness. Any others I should see?

6- Any recommendations on NJ shops that would be helpful in purchasing and equipping a kayak?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome Leo!!! Making the decision to kayak is a great idea. Say goodbye to the frustrating landlocked days. As for your questions, you're going to get a ton of responses and personal choices. Enjoy the process of deciding and don't be afraid to try some yaks out.

My two cents...I belive thats about 4.2 cents Euro.

1- What kind is favored and why - std. or sit-on-top? For me the start was and is the sit on top. Allows easy on/off, takes waves on a single bound, and if you do fall off (very rarely an accident) gettting on and going again is easily done.

2- Are waders worn when yaking? Not in the summer, I do use them in the winter, but several people here use a breathable wader I'm looking into. Right now I use Neoprene wading pants. The breatheables are thinner and easier to manage I think.

3- How wet does one get? In a SOT plan on your arse being constantly wet. It can be minimized with a seat, and even further reduced with scupper plugs (plugs that close the holes in the SOT kayaks). Being wet can be a good thing. Don't be afraid to let it happen.

4- Does capsizing happen often? Accidently I haven't really done it yet. On purpose? Often. Always a good idea to practice the capsize and recover in nice weather without gear, and even on bad weather without gear. Surfing the kayaks I fall out all the timesmile.gif

5- I'm planning to attend the March show to see the various vendor kayak models and plan to concentrate on Ocean, Cobra, and Wilderness. Any others I should see? Keep your eyes open for the Perception boats too. My personal Fav, the Swing.

6- Any recommendations on NJ shops that would be helpful in purchasing and equipping a kayak? I'll defer to those in NJ, We have several up here that do, but it's in upstate NY.

Well hope that gets you some info. Do searches here for other good information. You'll see this has been discussed a lot lately. Whatever you do, pick up a paddle and get out there fishing. It will blow your mind. ScottO

ScottO its about 2.25 Euro cents.

Leo welcome. Many favor sit on tops (SOT), I like a short wide (relative) recreational kayak that is a sit inside (Necky Santa Cruz or Pungo, I have the Santa Cruz) and some like the the long narrow ocean kayaks. I am new to the sport also so can't really help with the other questions but initial stability and getting back on easily are mentioned as positive for sit on tops. Sit Ins are potentially dryer unless you flip, have better final stability and are a pain to get back into a bail out if you flip. Good luck with you quest and remember that opinions cost more in Euros!

John

[This message has been edited by RJohn (edited 01-02-2002).]

Yo Leo!!!

Welcome to the exciting, ever changing world of kayak fishing and yak site banter!!!

I recommend that you search through the past posts in this forum and you should find answers to all of you questions.

There is a huge amount of information here and the members are all more than willing to share info.

Take it slow and absorb!!

Later.....DASBOOT

Welcome Leo.

1) Since you're talking about fish being out of casting range I'll assume that you fish the beach. That's the exact reason why I got a kayak. If you're talking ocean fishing a SOT is the way to go. They allow the water to drain after the surf breaks over the bow.

2) I wear stockingfoot waders in the yak. I have both breathables and neoprene. I would never wear bootfoots in a kayak. Check out DASBOOTs adventure. I use a kayaking top over the waders to essentially form a 2 peice dry suit. There are 2 types of these tops. Ones that are called splash jackets and true dry tops. The difference being that the true dry top has a latex gasket seal for the neck. The paddling jacket has a velcro system. Both types of jackets have wrist seals and a waste closure system that prevents water from entering. Wearing a PFD with either creates a good system. For maximum protection in this system the true dry top is the way to go.

3) In the warm months when I'm not wearing the above system my butt will get wet. It isn't a problem and as ScottO pointed out often welcome. I carry a folding breathable top in case it gets a bit cool. Often at night I'll put the top on and its all the additional protection I need.

4) I have only capsized once, other than when I purposely did so to practice, and it was with a very hard surf landing. It was due to beach replenishment in NJ and the break was too sharp and the dump couldn't have been prevented. If you get a kayak that fishes well dumping shouldn't be an issue.

5) If you add Perception to your list you've got the 4 top kayak fishing brands covered. You're height, weight and inseam measure can be important on some models. Some body types fit some yaks better than others.

6) Where in NJ are you located?

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 01-02-2002).]