Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoneCoastal

Spinning set up for 8 and Bait

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Just wondering whos using what for 8 and bait. I have two OM spinning rods that are rated that high but im kinda leaning towards somthing new. Also what is your take on dead sticking with circle hooks. I know this is common practice in the delmarva surf but i have read or head from some nothern sharpies this is a no no when targeting the BIG girls. Thanks

Yeah, go ahead and get set up with a conventional "heaver" and reel.

Good place to start=OM conventional rod and a conventional daiwa reel.

You can google up some old threads here that will show you exactly how to rig up.

It can be done, but using a spinning rod and reel to throw 8nbait comes with some real drawbacks.

Conventional gear,big circle hooks, big baits and dead sticking is pretty much the standard.

Never heard anyone say that this is a "no no" headscratch.gif

See you out there, good luck!

I was told holding your rod gives you alot better chance at detecting light taps and pick ups that bigger fish are known for. I also plan to fish more at night were distance shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with Possum.  IMO inline circles should be the standard for fishing bait from the surf.  They work great.  last spring I had only 1 fish come unbuttoned out of a bunch and not one was gut hooked.  Key is to make sure they are super sharp.

I could see detecting the bite better by holding the rod and setting the hook but there's always a chance you miss and the fish gets gut hooked.  SInce your fishing bait you might as well let the fish swallow it, run, apply pressure to the rod, and set itself in the corner of it mouth.

Circles do catch the big girls.  If you look closely here's a 10/0 circle right in the corner of this girl's mouth.  Good luck out there!

<br />

light taps and pick ups that bigger fish are known for.

:confused: They ain't pickin' off mayflies out there...

Sometimes they'll pick up a bait & swim to the beach but way more often they just slam the crap outta it. A spiked heaver or three with big circle hooks is what ya want.

Maybe im reading too much in the off season from guys who fish other places. I dont know.

Different tactics are used in different areas. On AI I would spike a few heavers with a big circle hooks. You'll find that most folks use 15-20# running line and 40-60# shock leader. Some of the spinner fishers use braid, but if you go conventional I'd stick to mono. As for a hook you'll find that 10/0 mustad 39951BLN, 9/0 (or 10/0) Gami big eye, 10/0 Owner SSW, and 8/0 Gami octopus circle are all popular. I don't know anyone that doesn't use circle hooks.

You'll want a stick or several that throw 10-12oz. Some popular factory choices are the Ocean Master series or the Tica dolphin. I would look hard at the Tica dolphin if you plan to buy a factory stick. You can also pay attention to the BST as some very nice used custom rods can be had there.

Here's a typical setup for me for striped bass (and black drum) so you have an idea. A 12-13' heaver (there are many, many choices) with an Abu Garcia Blue Yonder 6500C3CT (I prefer conventional) loaded with 15# Ande or 17# Sufix Tri running line and 50# Ande back country shock leader. I use a 10/0 Mustad 39951BLN circle hook snelled to 6-10" of 80# Ande leader material. I typically throw a 6-8oz pyramid sinker on a coastlock snap...no beads for me. There are pictures of this set-up floating around. For bait it's either bunker chunks, bunker heads, peeler crab, or sand fleas.

Feel free to PM if you have questions.....

Pretty much what Dr Koss sez...except you won't find a gami octopus circle in my kit. Dropped too many fish on those things in years gone by. One other thing is to use a good spike & put it deep.

Right there too with Koss.

Here's my typical setup;

OM 6-12oz conventional

Abu 7000 or 7500 C3CT(Abu 17# mono, with an Abu leader as well)

10/0 VMC Nemesis circles

Like other said, in AI it's a bit more scarce than in other places, and it's perfectly fine to deadstick in a well set spike.  

Don't know where up north the info you read was geographically coming from but I have fished MA quite a bit. When there I don't often chunk but when and where I do you can't even use a spike unless you have one that you can drive into bowling ball sized granite. The make up of the shoreline structure perhaps could play into what you read. Many of guys responding to this thread have well documented catches of some very big fish using spikes and circles.