Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kurtsteng

10' St. Croix mojo lure weight sweet spot + leader to braid clips?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, striper season is opening up in a couple of weeks, and i'm stocking up on all the gear i will need, and was wondering what the ideal lure weight, high and low is for the 10; 1-4 oz rated mojo. Also, what would my ideal lures be? i have a couple pf hopkins spoons, a soft plastic and 2 artificial eels, along with flourocarbon to attach my braid, but thats it so far. I was also wondering how to use a leader to braid clip, and if they are even worth it compared to tying the lines together with a knot. Thanks

I use braid small barrel swivel mono leader clip. Get yourself and sp minnow, learn the dropper loop and use a teaser. Pick up a pencil and a supper strike popper. what state are you i fishing in?

Main line braid- palomar knot-barrel swivel-16''-28'' mono leader-improved clinch knot- TA clip- SP minnow is a good place to start.

You will adjust leader length to suit preference and conditions so no need to tie 100 all the same. Lots of rocks or tough places to grab a fish with your hand and you will want a longer grab leader, but not so long  that you crank the swivel against your rod tip guide.  Those circumstances will let you know what to do next time.

Tying leaders direct to main line is not necessary with short leaders but is preferred by some. If the  artificial eels you have are attached to a jig head you might want to get a rigged Hogy or Sluggo as they are available  unweighted. Everything you described will sink to the bottom (unless your eels are unweighted) and you will enjoy fishing much more without getting snagged on the bottom. They have their place but you should do fine with the slug go, sp or bombers, some poppers, and as suggested above tying up some teaser rigs will pay off. Lots of info on teasers if you do a search.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtsteng View Post

Hey guys, striper season is opening up in a couple of weeks, and i'm stocking up on all the gear i will need, and was wondering what the ideal lure weight, high and low is for the 10; 1-4 oz rated mojo. Also, what would my ideal lures be? i have a couple pf hopkins spoons, a soft plastic and 2 artificial eels, along with flourocarbon to attach my braid, but thats it so far. I was also wondering how to use a leader to braid clip, and if they are even worth it compared to tying the lines together with a knot. Thanks

The weight sweet spot will depend entirely on you, your casting style and your twitch speed.

For instance, I am very strong caster, because I am so strong and I can really whip the rod, my sweet spot is lighter than for those who are less strong casters. The reason is because I load a rod deeper with my strong muscle based casts, and so a lighter lure hits the sweet spot for loading....if I used a lure at the top of the range, I would be loading too deeply and the lure will exceed the sweet spot and at the end of the cast, the lure's final launch has too much rod and less of me in it.

You'll see in other posts where I have said the sweet spot for my surfking 3-8oz is is 2.5 - 3 oz. For not as strong people, the sweet spot may be 4-5 oz.

When I do OTG casts, I find my sweet spot is a touch higher, and that's because that cast isn't as muscle based and technique and smoothness of the cast is more important. I just learned how to cast OTG well this past late fall, and I plan on practicing it more this season and I hope I can get to a 5 oz sweet spot with my rod. Then I'll start practicing pendulum casts again and see what I can do with that.

For my 1-4 oz rod, I like casting 1 to 1-3/4 oz the best. I get the most distance from those lures than I do from heavier.

Oh and tying knots is better in my opinion. I use snap swivels on the tackle end of the leader for convenience, but you don't want snaps or swivels going through your guides accidentally. Sometimes I tie on a lure though if I want to improve the presentation of the lure for whatever reason.

Thanks for all the info guys, I have my hopkins spoons, I shouldn't use a swivel for that really, should I? It doesn't spin on it's own, so I have to create my own action right? Anything else though, sure il tie line to line, and connect lures that need a swivel to one and than the line. I'm using 40 lb braid, and 60 pound flOurocatbon for when ip e fishing In rough rocky water, that's ok right? Or should I implement a shock leader, ahh I'm sorry I'm confused

I would use a swivel on all metal. They are erratic and tend to spin sometimes without a swivel you are asking for lots of knots All the stuff your inquiring about is personal preference. I tend to tie direct without clip in boulder fields but that is just what I do. Trial and error is best in your case until you find a system that works for you

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebart View Post

I would use a swivel on all metal. They are erratic and tend to spin sometimes without a swivel you are asking for lots of knots All the stuff your inquiring about is personal preference. I tend to tie direct without clip in boulder fields but that is just what I do. Trial and error is best in your case until you find a system that works for you

I'd say it depends on the metal and how you retreive...If you retreive at break neck speeds, then yes the hopkins can start to spin. However if you are more gentle in your retreive, most spoons wobble rather than spin. That depends on the spoon of course....hopkins and kastmasters are designed to wabble, even red devils are designed to wobble, but they'll start spinning if you retreive too fast....some spoons are bent to cause spin no matter what you do though.

A swivel really doesn't do it's job very well, even Spro swivels which are supposed to be the swivelest of swivels will still twist your line...They reduce the risk of line twist, but they don't prevent it by any means.

If the day is windy, let out your line without anything on it....not even a swivel and let the wind unwind your line. You don't get these every day, but usually on a beach the wind will pick up in the afternoon as the sun warms the land behind you.

What do you mean by let all the line out? What purpOsw would that serve? I'm sorry I don't understand. And ok, so I guess I will use a swivel and tie line to line most often for easer access. You guys have used Hopkins no equal spoons before? How to you rig them and retrieve them? I have the hammered edge strait one with the bucktail hook.

What do you mean by let all the line out? What purpOsw would that serve? I'm sorry I don't understand. And ok, so I guess I will use a swivel and tie line to line most often for easer access. You guys have used Hopkins no equal spoons before? How to you rig them and retrieve them? I have the hammered edge strait one with the bucktail hook.

Wow, haha ok that does make sense. Thanks Alot, and no joke spotburnhater, my rod snapped at that force as well. It is currently in transit to the st. Croix facility in Wisconsin. Seems there very unpredictable, but the ones that won't break on you preform like a dream