Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barrell

South Jersey canoe and kayak classic

15 posts in this topic

June 7th 10am to 4pm. Two dollar admission allows you to test paddle every kayak on the market today on a shallow lake.

where? Ocean County park route 88 Lakewood

info? 609-971-3085

We will be there with the Hobie, Cobra, and Emotion.

Barrell

Definately the best demo day in the region. The only negative I can say about it is that a few companies don't bring there SOTs. I wanted to try some Perceptions and Neckys last year and they only brought 1 model between them. frown.gif If you can go do so. Its well worth it.

I e-mailed Necky asking if they will bring the Spike for trying it, but got no reply yet. Anyone knows if they will be directly represented, or if some distributor will be there?

DMala

My understanding is that the Spike mold is broken and Johnson (Necky's parent company that also owns OK) doesn't have any intention of fixing/redoing it. So I don't expect them to have the Spike anymore. Last year Necky didn't have any SOTs. Essentially only Cobra, OK, and WS had SOTs there. Barrel will also have Emotion.

I went to the demo event today, after calling the park, as I was approaching the parkway exit, to confirm everything was still on despite the heavy rain. This was about at 2:45, someone from the park office confirmed the event was still on until 4:00. Ten minutes later I arrived to the pond in the park, to find out that only the Old Town stand and another of a maker of cedar-strip kayaks were on, everybody else was leaving or had left..... frown.gif

Oh well, at least I was passing by the parkway anyway for other reasons, otherwise I would have really been mad.

DMala

A good crowd showed up early and we had a lot of people doing demos. The Hobie was a big hit. And then it rained and rained and rained and etc. By 2pm the place was empty.

Barrell

DMala, not to rain on your parade but common sense has to come into play here. They were calling for decent weather in the AM and then heavy rain for the afternoon. I certainly wouldn't have expected anyone to still be there under those circumstances.

[ 06-09-2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Jon, you misunderstood my point: I thought myself that it was going to be canceled or anyhow affected by the heavy rain, but when I called the park office, I was assured twice (around 12:00 and 2:50) that everything was still on until 4:00. So the problem was with the poor information I received from the park (or the event organizers that did not inform the park info office), not with the vendors who understandably had to pack early.

DMala

I understand what you're saying. The Park office isn't where the event is so they're just reading off a sheet. The sheet said the hours. Vendors and people don't read sheets. If its raining Cats & Dogs and nobodies there the vendors are going to leave.