Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Assassin

If you use BRAID... what LB do you use?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

The question is if you are a surf fisherman and you use braid on your reels what LB braid do you use? Specifically for chunk/live bait fishing not lures.I know a lot has to do with your Reel and Rod. I just want to get an idea of what people use. Feel free to list the reel that the braid is on. I have used 80lb but was thinking of going down to 65lb. Now with the sinkers and bait I am tossing it weighs anywhere from 6 to 12 oz. Thanks for any feedback

Tight Lines  

i asked for a spool of 30 lbs samurai braid on an emblem pro 5000 before i knew how thin it was. after 400 yards the guy came over and said dude we need to put more backing or this is gonna be a $100 spool. and Im scared to cut my finger on it. it must cast awesome but i wouldnt know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricise10 View Post

30/40 lb, no more.

are you using 6 ounce or 8 ounce sinkers when needed? I was once told to use 10lb for every ounce of sinker you may use which is why I have used 80lb....which is why I am asking it seemed a little excessive....I never had any problems using 80lb but I would like to have more line on my reels...

i never had the need to use 6-8 oz sinkers, if that was the case i'll pack up and go home.

yup, more than 4 oz and im not fishin. now when i fish the hudson, 6-8 is common.

are you using 6 ounce or 8 ounce sinkers when needed? I was once told to use 10lb for every ounce of sinker you may use which is why I have used 80lb....which is why I am asking it seemed a little excessive....I never had any problems using 80lb but I would like to have more line on my reels...

I would honestly say that 80 lbs is way overkill for most applications around here

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinambition View Post

I would honestly say that 80 lbs is way overkill for most applications around here

that what I figured which is why I am asking....I appreciate the feedback so far....

yup, more than 4 oz and im not fishin. now when i fish the hudson, 6-8 is common.

that was the only place i was actually thinking about where you can go 6-8, or the rip. :shrug:

I like 30lb braid anything lighter and your more likely to get cut. I may go to 40 but as a rule of thumb i like 30. If your fishing rocky bottom maybe go up to 40 or 50 and use a leader that is less. This is for river (bait) guys on rocky bottom, because you want the leader to break before the braid other wise you can go through 100 yards of braid in an outing. Same thing goes for jigging someplace like the canal. I carry an 8 inch piece of a hockey stick so when i get snagged i can wrap the line around the stick and pull. I also use coin sinkers because they tend to get stuck less because their shape makes them rise in the water column when you rip them in.