Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
desiSurfer

? For VanStaal Self Service Gurus

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I took on the project of servicing my VS 150 (bailed) reel after watching the tutorial video online and reading the instruction manual.

Figured, I could do it w/out much trouble. (bad bad idea)

First part was easy.

When I got to the taking off the FLY / ROTOR part where the 4 Alan screws are, I couldnt get any of the 4 screws loose.

I finally got 3 opened, and the 4th screw stripped :-(

I'd love to hear some suggestions on how to proceed or if anyone else has been in a similar situation . . . 

Can't comment exactly on the reel aspect, but generally speaking with stripped screws the easiest way (if you have a steady hand and a small enough cutting wheel) is to dremel a slot in the head of the screw and use a flat head to back it out.

$800 reels should be brought to a certified dealer for maintenance. I learned this after having a similar issue. A friend of mine luckily was able to repair what I messed up and I was back up and casting again that week. Wish I had an answer for you but I don't best bet would be to bring to local tackle shop familiar with VS to see what they think

drill press , drill bit and a tap.

Try a screw extractor first. may not work though.

Did you use red thread locker on the screws...shouldn't have stripped if you used a decent hex head of the right size

At this point, I would suggest sending it in for servicing/repair unfortunately.  Even if you were able to remove the stripped screw, you would still have to order a new screw/replacement part and another thing is you don't want to potentially damage any other part of the reel by trying to remove the screw.  

VS is a fairly simple reel to self-service and I've done mine numerous times over the past couple of seasons but for me all it took was a simple mind-lapse for me to screw it up and lock the reel when I last attempted to do it.  Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.  

If you're close to a VS service shop, bring it in. It sounds like you're at the point where you may only do more harm than good. It sucks, bu bite the bullet and let an experienced pro fix it. Best of luck!!

Is there any chance that the tool you were using was not the correct size (metric vs. imperial maybe)?

Few years ago I'd the same problem with my VS150. I sent it in to the factory and they took it off at no charge. I am sure they will take care of him. I would not fool around with it.

Easy outs are great and work well, usually work fine but for a 6-32 screw that means drilling very accurately or risk damaging the female thread in the flyer mount, its definetly not the first thing I would try though.

I've removed alot of screws with the heads stripped, First thing I usually do if the hex is stripped is to tap a larger size allen key into the stripped hex, that usually means a metric size, the bigger allen key will broach a slightly larger working hex & and 9 out of 10 times that's all it takes.

2nd thing i will do is take a very sharp punch and tap a spot in the screw head towards the outer edge then use a dull pointed punch in the spot tapping the screw loose, the sharp pointed punch is to make the spot, the dull pointed punch is to loosen the screw without making a bigger spot. I usually keep broken drill bit shanks for just this reason and grind the tip to a point to make my micro punches.......

Good Luck....

last but not least, you can take a mallet and a precision slotted screw driver (the cheap ones with metal handles are good for this) and if you get the right fit can line it up with some of the rounded out corners of the hex head. Give a it couple of firm wacks and the sharp head will cut it's own grove as it has little material to displace. This will also help break up any corrosion/loctite that may be complicating things. With the groove cut the slotted screwdriver may be able to get it loose.

best