Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onelastcast0030

CHANGES TO THE PLUM ISLAND BEACHFRONT

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Unless you have been living under a rock the past month or so, you have no doubt heard about the erosion and damage that have befallen the island as a result of hurricane Sandy and this winter’s numerous storms. While the destruction to the beachfront properties is unfortunate, the changes to the beach could mean good news for us Surfcasters.

The affected beach area finally opened to the public again last week and I had a chance to get down there at low tide this weekend to take a look at the changes to the structure on the beach. The most notable changes are north of the island center. There was a increasingly pronounced sandbar that started around 40th st. and extended out in a southward arc. This sandbar has increased significantly lately and is now completely exposed at low tide. There is a second sandbar that has also developed right next to the older one. Additionally, there is a third sandbar that has formed closer to the the center parking lot but is not exposed at low tide, however the white water coming over it makes it very apparent. There are other numerous bumps and changes along the beach that all look very “fishy”. Further down towards the refuge boundary there is a big cut and hole which looks quite promising to be productive this season. The PRWR beach is now closed for plover season so I have not had a chance to get a look down there, but I assume there have been dramatic changes down there as well.

I took a few photos which I am including below. I’ve heard from a few folks that they have been seeing the herring run getting started in the past few days, so it’s only a matter of time before the bass are behind them. Hopefully we will start to get into a pattern of warmer weather and we will see some fish by the end of the month. Good luck to everyone and tight lines in 2013!

-Steve<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Steve and I ran into each other Sunday at Surfland after we had taken separate walks over same territory. And I was just as excited.

The new bars look very, very fishy and no problem to be out on at low tide, actually high and dry at low. We'll put some big gurls on da sand this year, Steve.

Great structure there.

Any major changes in the 'Mack river mouth at low? Didn't look like it from what I've seen in other photos.

-bd

having walked both north and south of the center all winter, that new sandbar north is truly remarkable. But south, the biggest change is the 6 foot vertical drop in actual beach sand. Over the spring and summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see similar changes to the sandbars and erosion patterns as the Island adjusts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdowning View Post

Great structure there.

Any major changes in the 'Mack river mouth at low? Didn't look like it from what I've seen in other photos.

-bd

Have not seen much of the mouth but I have heard that the sandbar has gotten a lot bigger and the few guys that have been out in boats say that there may be times around low this year you may not be able to get out. There was actually a story in the Newburyport News a couple weeks ago. Folks are calling for it to be dredged again....

-Steve