Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marksharky

Inshore dolphin off Long Branch - That would be a nice catch in a Yak!

3 posts in this topic

From the ledger this am

Would you believe a dolphin (mahi-mahi) just 200 yards off Long Branch in less than 30 feet? I certainly wouldn't give any credence to such a story if I hadn't watched it nail Joe Blaze's fly yesterday right off the radio antenna.

We were on our way back from the Sea Bright area when I spotted some birds picking. The birds had scattered by the time we got to the spot, but Blaze cast to a single fish chasing rainfish out of the water. He assumed it was one of the little tunny we'd been seeking all day, but it came on the fly too slowly before engulfing it. The very few dolphin I've ever encountered even six miles off at the Klondike and Manasquan Ridge were just "peanuts," but this was a respectable school dolphin of 43/4 pounds.

Two years ago, we caught a skipjack tuna just a couple of hundred yards off Sea Bright, but that was when blue water had pushed right into the surf. Though the water was a warm 72 degrees, it was far from the blue water normally required for dolphin even in their normal range well offshore