Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Most Beautiful Airplane in Class

Rate this topic

154 posts in this topic

1. 4 propellers: the Constellation. Graceful as a swan, those tritailed Connies.

2. Modern jet fighter: Early production F-16, all swoopy curves. Current ones have padded shoulders, ugly.

3. WW II fighter: Mitsubishi Zero. Even the Spitfire isn't as clean.

This is, of course, not my opinion, it's the absolute truth. Type any disagreement into your computer and you'll get blistered fingertips, like as not. However, the floor is open for proposing aircraft in other categories.

We just had a 'Super Guppy' flying around here in MA (it was picking up some parts from Hanscom AFB that will eventually be sent up to the Space Station)...LOL

Industrial designer Raymond Loewy said a design is perfect when nothing needs to be added or subtracted. (Loewy designed the interior of the Constellation.)

I think the Boeing 787 is a perfectly beautiful plane that meets Loewy's criterion.

We just had a 'Super Guppy' flying around here in MA (it was picking up some parts from Hanscom AFB that will eventually be sent up to the Space Station)...LOL

I enjoy the BIG BULBOUS SUPER GUPPY.

It amuses me.

I wouldn't call it ugly, true, but somehow wing-and-tube designs just don't have the aesthetic appeal of things with lots of compound curves.

The Super Guppy may not be beautiful, but it is exotic.

Categories that remain open are Most Beautiful Biplane, most beautiful twin (Lockheed Hudson, maybe?) .... and others.

I wouldn't call it ugly, true, but somehow wing-and-tube designs just don't have the aesthetic appeal of things with lots of compound curves.

The Super Guppy may not be beautiful, but it is exotic.

Categories that remain open are Most Beautiful Biplane, most beautiful twin (Lockheed Hudson, maybe?) .... and others.

A DC-3 is a classic 2 engine plane....not sure about in a 'beautiful' sense however

Agree on the aesthetic appeal of curviness.

The unpretty Steath Fighter is too planar.

If Freud were alive, I'd like to read his analyisis of a preference for curviness and his interpretation of Willem de Kooning's paintings of angular, pointed, female forms.

Industrial designer Raymond Loewy said a design is perfect when nothing needs to be added or subtracted. (Loewy designed the interior of the Constellation.)

I think the Boeing 787 is a perfectly beautiful plane that meets Loewy's criterion.

I hope to have the need to fly on one. A simply amazing machine!

1. 4 propellers: the Constellation. Graceful as a swan, those tritailed Connies.
If you ever find yourself in Orange County, there's a real Connie at the Greenwood Lake airport. They stripped it down and landed that thing on a 3500 foot runway. Awesome.

F16 is a sweet bird and loud as hell.

For WWII fighter, it's hard to debate the incredible power in performance and design of the late model P-51 Mustang.