Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperondafly

Paddle reccomendations

9 posts in this topic

For affordable durability and a big bang for the buck, go canyon. Yellow blades, assymetrics that will take the abuse a tractor trailer could give it. Aluminum shaft, synthetic blade. Love all three of mine. Length will vary with type of yak, short for whitewater, longer for touring. At about 6', and broad shouldered, I like a 240cm. Probably a 230 or 240 for you too. Scott

Lot of things to consider for paddle length especially what kind of kayak. For example, I'm 6-04 and use a 230 in a 23 inch wide sea kayak, my 5-06 wife uses the same in a 28 inch wide SOT. I'd like a 240/245 for myself in the SOT. Try to avoid aluminum looms, they get cold. Lot's of good paddles, you pretty much get what you pay for. I'd guess a reasonable fiberglass or wood touring paddle starts abt $70-80 and runs up to $150, you can pay a lot more but gets hard to justify $400 to save an ounce or two weight. Be great if you could try a few but conditions are tough out there right now.

i started off with the basic cobra paddle, wihch costs about $100 and weighs a ton. don't waste your money on it or any cheaper, heavier paddle. go straight for the Werner Camano, at around $230. it's a great paddle and the standard, I think, by which most others are measured. my opinion, spend the money now or spend it later but eventually you will end up with a Camano or its equally expensive equivalent; and once you get it, you'll kick yourself for not getting it sooner.

Its all relative and depends upon you. What you want to spend and how much you're going to use it. What kind of kayak did you get? That will help. If its a slow kayak you want a paddle with lots of power. When someone gets a FnD I really feel that they're going to need a Powerflex as it needs all the power it can get.

Aluminum is inexpesive and the Cannon Scott reccomends is a great paddle for the money. They're app. $85. However aluminum, as Jim pointed out, is cold on the hands as it transmits air temps very efficiently. My first paddle was a fiberglass shafted Cannon with plastic blades. Last winter Joev and I went out one day so he could demo kayaks. The air temp was app. 50 degrees. Joe had to wear gloves to use his aluminum paddle and I didn't. Joe now owns 2 fiberglass shafted paddles and the aluminum is either a spare or gone. In marginal temps you'll have to wear gloves. If the shaft material is fiberglass, carbon or kevlar you won't. I use and love a carbon fibre paddle. Its light and strong. You can get a high end paddle starting in the $200 range. Fiberglass shafts with plastic blades are in the $130 plus ballpark.

The Werner mentioned above is a nice paddle. There are plenty of others. I don't look for the lightest paddle out there as strength and durability are important too. As fisherman we often do things to a paddle that a person who tours with a kayak won't. I'm about to check out a paddle from a company which is all kevlar and retails for $195. They also have a lighter model with the same construction for $20 more. However I'd rather have a 2 oz. heavier paddle that's designed specifically to handle abuse. I'll keep you posted as it should be a fantastic high end fishing paddle.

As to paddle length I'm using a 220 and I don't have any problems. I've even used it with a 36" wide FnD. I'd reccomend 230-240. A few guys like them real long. Its a matter of personal preference.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

Thanks for all the rec's guys.

I bought a used Ocean Scrambler. I think it is more stable than fast (hope so as I am a beginner). Based on that assumption I guess I should go with a power paddle. Sound like a good idea?? Jons - how is the Cobra Powerflex you sell??

a mullaney HappyWave.gif

whats up dude. finally made it over huh, good fer you. how was the clamathon. 1 fish @ 26" wow. so ya bailed ya big sissy ;p weak

whatever paddle you choose, you have a nice one