Who got their bike license at the DMV and who got it via private instruction?

Rate this topic

HatterasJack

I know there's two options

you go to DMV, take t;he written, get the permit, come back for a scheduled driver test

I was also told you can get private instruction and when completed - you get a waiver

take the waiver to DMV and they issue your license

anybody tried that route ?

or know someone who's tried that route ?

"Gradatim Ferociter / Carpe Diem / No Guts, No Glory

"I hate taxes, and Communism, and inflation. Now, get to work, and remember that the person who makes decisions around here is ME." Ronald Reagan

MSF course at Brookdale with a waiver for the road test. Highly recommended even if you have ridden before.

Walked into the DMV and had my license endorsed.

how long ago, how many days/hours was the course, and how much was the course if you don't mind sharing

"Gradatim Ferociter / Carpe Diem / No Guts, No Glory

"I hate taxes, and Communism, and inflation. Now, get to work, and remember that the person who makes decisions around here is ME." Ronald Reagan

I'm interested in this as well. I have been riding for around 27 years and have owned multiple bikes but have never had a motorcycle license....... I do have a permit though and just might schedule a road test..............

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

I'm interested in this as well. I have been riding for around 27 years and have owned multiple bikes but have never had a motorcycle license....... I do have a permit though and just might schedule a road test..............

it's an automatic revocation of your drivers license in NYS if you get caught. You are technically an unlicensed motorist. I found out the hard way in college when I got my bike permit (the state school campus is state property and thus all state road)

"... let it go - lets move forward."

how long ago, how many days/hours was the course, and how much was the course if you don't mind sharing

It was a weekend. Friday night and both days Saturday and Sunday. Friday was classroom presentations. Saturday was riding 250's in the parking lot course. Sunday was the "road test".

I forget how much it cost but I seem to remember it being under $200. Just checked the site and its $295 now.

it's an automatic revocation of your drivers license in NYS if you get caught. You are technically an unlicensed motorist. I found out the hard way in college when I got my bike permit (the state school campus is state property and thus all state road)

I guess I have been dodging a bullet then. I have never been pulled over, EVER! I think its time I get legal and will do it this year(before summer) for sure. I thought it was driving out of your class............ thanks Mike.

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

Got mine at DMV. State trooper had me do a few figure eights and that was it. Took maybe 5 minutes.

Sounds like the RI test I took many years ago. You did a parking lot slalom course through cones spaced a good 20' apart, and then went on a solo ride on the streets around the Registry. If you came back alive, you passed. :laugh:

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

From NJ Ridesafe

Quote:

Law Change: Effective January 1, 2013, anyone who takes a road test at MVC on a bike that is 231CC or less is restricted to riding only a 500CC or less motorcycle (M endorsement or Class E motorcycle-only license with restriction). If the road test is taken on a bike that is over 231CC, there will be no restriction with the M endorsement or motorcycle-only license. Anyone who successfully completes a Motorcycle Safety Education Program (MSEP) course is exempt from this bike size requirement and will not be restricted. Riders who are restricted to a bike that is 500CC or less will have a restriction “5” noted on their license and will be required to carry an MVC-issued restriction card while operating the motorcycle.