Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed J

Where are your rod holders mounted?

10 posts in this topic

I took the kayak out on Saturday looking for & finding some pickerel at Well Mills Park in Waretown.

I'm slowing learning the pros and cons of fishing from the kayak. I think you already know the pro's, but I'm trying to deal with some of the cons and figger you guys can help me before I put unneeded holes in my boat.

I have a Cobra F&D, has a fishing seat W/ 2 built in rod holders, and I also have a Scotty fly rod holder on my immediate right.

I would like to put in a rod holder for trolling & storage that that is in front of me. I think I have found a suitable location. But need those of you who have gone through this already to tell me if I'm heading down the right path.

While fishing on Saturday (was very windy) I found myself needing to use my paddle a lot while fishing to either stay in one place or to face myself in a better direction. I would wedge the butt of my rod (6.5' spinner) between my foot and the side of the boat. I kept doing this till I found a place where it was easy to reach, but would not interfere with my paddlelin.

Now here is my question: Is it a bad idea to put (drill a hole) and install a recessed rod holder(s) in the area's I have the arrow(s) pointing too?

yakrodholderquestion.jpg

I want two, the forward one will be fitted with a rod holder that fits into the recessed hole, this will be my main trolling rod holder. The place I want to put this is not very wide, I'm thinking a lil'customization might be required for this one.

The rear one will be a place to hold the rod when landing a fish (Otto told me about this idea). The rear one will be for this purpose only, as I can't have a rod in it and paddle at the same time.

OK, I'm I on the right track? Any other ideas?

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Ed, I don't know what that black rectangular thing is between your feet[a hatch cover?] but if it's strong enough to mount something on it I would put a scotty right there between your shins. You can rotate the holder in any direction for trolling, even angling it out like an outrigger, and if you want it just for a rod holder you just point it straight up. It looks like a flush mount may be hard to get flush to the deck because of the curve of your hull. If your worried about the strength of the cover just buy a cheap poly cutting board and cut it to size as a backing plate for the scotty, then bolt that sucker down with stainless hardware. My boat has the same curved side and I found the scotty to be much less of a headache. Dave

DSCF00.jpg

The fish and dive allows more rod holder options than any other boat. Some guys put a flush mount between their feet on top of the deck. Some put two angled flush mounts on the wide areas just behing your right and left hip. For landing fish I recomend that flush mount be on Your weakhand side. See "kayak fishing secrets" for the reason why. I am not allowed to give you the link but if You e-mail me I will provide it. Just remember You must plug the bottom of the flush mounts. Again see KFS. There are also a few different mounts from Scottys that can be used all over the boat.

Barrell

I have a flush mount rod holder located between by feet in the center of my Navigator.

I use the rod in that position much more than my rod holders that are behind me.

On yaks like the explorer that have flat gunnels Barrell told me to mount the rod on you weak hand side (left if you are a righty) so that the rod is away from you when you are landing a fish.

Ed,

I have a Fish n Dive with 2 flush mounts on either side of the seat, just behind me. For trolling, I have a RAM tube in front of the big hatch. Take a look.

FNDFully.jpg

Check out the new Scotty catalog for the cool new kayak platform/bar. You can put two rods plus gps/fishfinder on this mount and still have it all removable; especially if you used the Scotty flush mount bracket. You could mount it on the fwd end of the rectangular hatch (plenty strong)-just like the image above(right there!). Having the rod front and center is nice; if you don't have a conflict with the paddle there.

Just another option.

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 02-11-2002).]

I never thought of mounting anything to the hatch (ya Dave it's a hatch, good call smile.gif ).

I sent you an email Barrell, I'd like to read about the weak hand deal. I also plan to be in A/C on Friday for the show, I'll make it a point to come talk to you.

The seat on my boat has the rod holders, but I never intended to use them for anything but storage, so a forward mount of the rod holder is what I'm after.

If you mount the holder between your legs, on the hatch in my case, will 6.5 or 7 foot rod be long enough to paddle & troll with at the same time?

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

Ed,

I use 7' rods and troll with the rod in the RAM tube. The tube is mounted in front of my hatch.Mounting the rodholder on the hatch might be a little too close to your stroke. My FF and GPS go on the hatch. I've seen some that troll with the rod behind them, but i like to see the rod tip.

BTW, my flush mounts are set-up somewhat "Barrell" style. You'll notice one is a little further forward than the other.

Without having looked at the new Scotty setup I like the RAM the most for your application. But as barrell said there are more options on a FnD than any other kayak.

Also for the wind you'll find that a drift sock is invaluable. Not only will it significantly slow down the yak but you can control its position as it drifts. The small boat size works great.