Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swill7617

Small Engine High Compression Problem

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Im having a problem starting  a Kohler Courage 23hp on a Toro garden tractor. One of the cylinders has high compression and can  not complete the compression stroke. I adjusted the valves to the proper specs but did not fix the problem. I was how ever able to get it started after removing the spark plug from that cylinder.

That being said my next guess would be the ACR which is located on the cam shaft and run by the exhaust valve. So my next step would be to pull the engine and and remove the cam shaft. Does anyone have any thoughts on something else it could be before i start this project? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If there was no liquid in that cylinder (hydraulic lock) then it's gotta be something with the valves. Compression release defective, rocker shaft loose, rocker arm fell off the valve stem, broken pushrod, ect.

thanks for your input.doesnt seem to have fluid in it and everything else i can see seems to be ok. So im going to pull the engine and replace the camshaft. Hopefully that does the trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swill7617 View Post

thanks for your input.doesnt seem to have fluid in it and everything else i can see seems to be ok. So im going to pull the engine and replace the camshaft. Hopefully that does the trick.

Are the valves in the bad cylinder opening and closing? The cam has a hard surface that's only a few thousandths thick. Once you wear thru that the lobes wear down quite fast.