Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
njdevs

Wilderness Ride 115

14 posts in this topic

Very popular boat and now with the elevated seat its a great kayak. Not very nimble, but super stable and very comfortable, yet still can be paddled... The duck hunters love them too btw....:)

I just can't get how the raised seat bring stability?  One would think it would make it top heavy, but then again Hobie is basically fitting the ProAngler with a lawn chair these days so go figure.

You're right. Raising the seat makes any kayak less stable. But these things are so wide, it's not a problem. Basically a short-range barge intended for inland waterways. And I heard that from the manufacturer's rep.

I will need to give them a 2nd look. Had my chance at the Somerset show a few weeks back but didn't pull the trigger. It's my first yak and just looking for something stable to fish in the back bay. Although close to shore would still need to deal with some boat traffic and the rocking and rolling that comes along with it.

I have fished from a Ride 135 in the past and know guys that use the 135 and 115 in rivers. They are great kayaks and never seem to be a problem in skinny water or tight areas around the rocks. I wouldn't classify any kayak as nimble other then a whitewater kayak. I think you'll enjoy it, maybe the 135 even for better tracking and just a little more kayak under you. The 115 has a capacity of 500lbs and the 135 has a 550lb capacity.

The 135 only weighs 7 pounds more(website) and is an inch or two narrower.

I had a 135. A big stable kayak that tracked well and is very comfortable. But it was heavy and slow - hard work paddling against wind and tide. A bit of hull slap from the cathedral hull to. I sold it to get a smaller kayak in the end so a 115 would have been ideal. But they didn't make them then.

Much nicer than the Big Game IMO which was like oil tanker in comparison.

The Eddyline Caribbean only has a capacity of 300 lbs :(

You are looking at the 12-foot model. Look at the 14, which is rated at 400 pounds. Even that capacity is underrated IMO. Try one.

I have the ride 135 and it is very stable. I'm 5' 8 an 225 lbs and there is lots of room on board.

I fish small to very large lakes with total comfort for 6 hrs at a time. It handles the Delaware river with no problems at all, it doe's have a peddle controlled rudder sys on it as well. It is a little slow paddling in strong winds so if your in a real hurry you may not like it. I personally don't like being in a hurrry when i'm out there, already do that at work! You should try some yaks out before you pull the trigger. Lots of luck to ya...