Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hopittyhop

What rod to get for a Stella 8k sw (2008)

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I bought a stella 8k sw recently to fish sebastian inlet, fl of the jetties&rocks. I was told the mhx walls are thin so they are pretty fragile, so i stopped looking at those. I'll be throwing 1-2 oz sythetic bucktail jigs and rapala xrap sxr 14's. I want a rod that is light and cast nice it would be nice if I didn't have to spend a fortune, but I'd like to hear from the the forum :p

My length desired is 9ft- 9ft6  in a one piece and we don't have CTS blanks down here, so I'm was looking into these blanks: 

Phenix black diamond PSW967ML-B

Phenix black diamond hybrid PHD927ML-B

Lamiglas infinity surf ISI108-1MH

Lamiglas GSB108-1L G1000 Surf/Bar Rod Blank

Lamiglas GSB108-1M G1000 Surf/Bar Rod Blank

I will buy the, CTS and 150 for if you send warm waters to Long Island. I would also recommend an 9#airwave. It has been a reel that served my needs flawlessly. Also try putting reels on then at the shop and see which on feels the best before spending your cast.

@Lord helmet I dont understand what you mean by the cts and 150? I think my local tackle shops have some airwaves I can look at. I'm really leaning towards getting a black diamond hybrid though, there are no cts distributors here for me even to take a look at them in person. But I live like 30 mins away from mudhole, so I can take a look at a bunch of other blanks.

You have a $700 reel, what's your budget for a rod? I think a $130 Tsunami is a bit low end, no? I'm sure it will work but I'd question that setup. I think mudhole carries the Carolina Cast Pro rods/blanks. It doesn't come shorter than a 10' but I think you should consider a custom build to pair up that nice reel. You can then trim down any blank for the build.

Any reason why you didn't consider the 5000SW to pair up with a 9' rod? It's much lighter than the 8000SW and should hold plenty of braid for that length rod. Both I hear have excellent drag for good size fish.