Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mariner

Hobie Mirage Outback vs. the Mirage Adventure?

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody:

I'm getting an itchy ATM trigger finger for a peddle kayak.

Has anyone used / Demoed the New Hobie Outback Adventure?

I see that the Outback, which I've been thinking of pulling the trigger one, is 12 feet or so long and 34" wide, whereas the Adventure is 16 feet long and 27" wide. I've got to think that would result in a much faster boat, but may not be as stable a platform.

Anyone actually used one?

You may want to check out other websites for this type of info. Since I don't want to post the other sites' addresses, I would do a Google search for the following words... "Kayak" "Fishing" "Stuff"

There are lots of people on this site that frequent the other sites that will help you out...

Good luck!

mariner, If you need to go far and fast the adventure might be the way to go. At 16 feet long however I have no intrest in fishing out of one. It is not gonna hang out of the back of my pickup truck like the outback. This will require me to get it up on to the roof of my f250 cap. We are talking almost 8 feet high. Now just loding and unloading the beast becomes a two or 3 man job. No thanks. They will have to pry my out back out of my dead hands. In south jersey we have dozens of awsome fishing spots that we can see from the parking areas we use. No need for a speedster when your only going a few hundred yards. Your on the right track however definatly go peddle over paddle. If you get down to my area in the spring bring a rod and we will fish in some outbacks.

Barrell

Thanks a ton Barrell. After lot's of polling and reading I've got it narrowed down to either the Outback, or the Outback. I spent a lot of time when I was young paddling ocean kayaks and outrigger canoes, and feel like I've paddled enough - its time to peddle!

If I get out East this spring I'll ping you.

Just be aware the new outbacks have eliminated the tackle box location under your thighs. Im not happy with the change I felt that was a perfect spot for tackle. So check out the new model and the 05 and buy what you prefer.

barrell

I have owned paddle and pedal yaks. Having fished out of an Outback and then an Adventure, there is no going back to paddle yaks except for river trips and small ponds. If transport is not an issue for you, the Adventure is simply amazing. Can't wait till the larger fins come out for even higher speed.

It comes down to what you want to do. Both are great fishing yaks. I prefer the Adventure. I like the increased speed, the drop down dagger board, greater storage and the tracking. My legs and bodyweight make the Sport a viable kayak for me and I prefer it to the Outback for smaller waters.

The tracking to me is the most important feature of the Adventure that seperates it from the other mirage drive kayaks. In the Outback if you take your hand off the rudder lever for very long the kayak will wander. I've found myself pedaling in circles. The Adventure, even in strong winds, tracks true. You can even paddle and pedal at the same time which you can't sustain in the Outback due to its wandering nature. If you're not going far then the tracking and speed aren't important. However when covering distance the ability to utilize the travel time to rig a rod, communicate via phone or radio, have a bite to eat, a drink, switch lures, etc. is very beneficial.

jon,either gluing a piece of 3mm neoprene under the control lever of the outback or tieing a scrap of 1/8 inch bungie cord around the lever will stiffen up the hobie rudder control.

barrell