Gloucester2

Excellent - a few more dropped off at the Canal railrod bridge

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Train to Cape Cod ready to roll

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Author(s): Colneth Smiley Jr.

Get your beach towels ready.

The Cape Flyer will begin rolling this Memorial Day weekend providing rail service from Boston to Cape Cod for the summer.

“There’s been a demand for it, but it also makes sense as traffic problems are well known when it comes to traveling to the Cape,” said MBTA spokeswoman Kelly Smith.

“It’s limited service,” Smith added of the Cape Flyer which will make its initial run from South Station to Hyannis on May 24 with stops at Lakeville and Buzzards Bay.

On Saturdays and Sundays, the first train will depart at 8 a.m. with return trips from Hyannis at 6:30 p.m.

“There’s no question tourism will be enhanced,” said Thomas Cahir, administrator of The Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority, which will operate the seasonal service in cooperation with the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce, MassDot and the MBTA through Labor Day.

Tickets are priced at $35 for a round trip.

The weekend service will consist of six trains which will operate on a commuter rail line towards Middleboro which extends down into Hyannis. Because the service utilizes current equipment, authorities believe funding the rail will at the least “break even” if not producing more profit, but it will also promote an environmentally friends and economic alternate to travel to the Cape, said Smith.

I wonder what this will do to guys that cross the tracks , will there be more enforcement ?

Good question. Don't know the answer.

But I know that topic sure opened a big can of worms when it was discussed a couple years back. :worms:

so the train stops at boozards bay, and if i want to go down the cape from there, will they charge money for parking, they do from lakeville station...

so the train stops at boozards bay, and if i want to go down the cape from there, will they charge money for parking, they do from lakeville station...

You got it. :th:

The first step in this directing was to enlarge and pave the RR Bridge parking lot.

As was mentioned over a year ago, the next step will be the installation of parking meters.

Maybe they should run a train to the Charlestown Breachway in Rhode Island?

I dare you to post that on the RI forum. :b40:

-bd

I dare you to post that on the RI forum. :b40:

-bd

Hey, let Borntafish come over here and edit it then...guys can scream canal all day long but I mention c-town and the hill in a thread in the Rhody Forum and they get edited with no explanation. Maybe some MA guys should give the Narrow River a try too?

Where are people going to be dropped off? Hyannis? Not sure there is really a drop off location near the canal right? Are they making one or am I unaware of one that already exists?