Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beatonem

Looking for a plier sheath for reasonable $

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys i have a pair of 7" p lines and I customized the aluminum handles for non slip use. My problem is they don't fit in the sheath now and I didn't like the sheath anyway beacause the flap closed over the top and the pliers sat deep in it, a real pain. Been looking at the ripoffs belt loop sheaths which are cheap and I know durable and made in USA . I looked at Schmidt and just wanted something a little cheaper.

Appreciate any ideas, BEATONEM

Make your own out of Kydex.... you can buy materials at any knife making website... then all you need is a heat gun, belt sander, and tube sock filled with sand and some hardware (Clips, rivets, etc...also found at the previously mentioned knife making website)

It's actually a fun way to kill sometime waiting for real Spring weather to arrive :th:

And you can really customize it for your needs

I use a durable all leather plier sheath that I bought from Sears for $5. Doesnt get much cheaper.

I use the same one (I think). I bought it at Lowe's. the first one I had got deformed from water. The one I have now I heated up with a heat gun, so it would absorb epoxy on the back and mink oil on the front. Now it's nice and stiff and hopefully more water resistant.

I make all my own clips and leather sheaths, if you want a custom made durable holder for pliers or knives take a tube of pvc , heat it over the stove evenly and when the pvc is soft shove the pliers into them and either let dry or spray with cold water, wala now you have a custom mold that will fit your pliers or knife perfectly. You can use the mold only or fit the mold into a leather sheath.

Here are a couple pics to give you an idea what i meant about heating a round pvc tube and letting it mold to the shape of each contour of the tool. It's the easiest and probably cheapest way if you need something quick, the belt clip shown is just a part of the holder, nothing else needed and it snaps back and holds very solid and tight. Browning pliers used in example

Not a professional quality holder by any means though

img

[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1563203/width/1000/height/1000[/img

I use the same one (I think). I bought it at Lowe's. the first one I had got deformed from water. The one I have now I heated up with a heat gun, so it would absorb epoxy on the back and mink oil on the front. Now it's nice and stiff and hopefully more water resistant.

That is a good idea. I basically tried to do the same thing by coating it in shoe polish, which did help some but I had trouble getting the wax to really penetrate the leather. Never thought of heating it.

Before you go and waterproof the leather, get it wet, really wet, spray your pliers with wd-40 and stick them in. After a day or so the leather will be dry again and will have formed itself to your pliers. Now it's time to try to waterproof it. ;)

So after checking the responses from all you guys, I happened to be out with the fam. Shopping and there was a Sears there so I checked it out. Kydex was going to be to much to get involved with and the pvc, great idea but a little to hard and bulky for my liking but way use that idea later on for other things thanks for that one!

They had a craftsman back Pocket sheath that I figured I could make work. Has a nice Pocket for the pliers and three little front pockets that can hold my knife and hook file plus a flashlight or whatever. It has a clip to hold my stringer or anything else and I gained another pocket by the way I superglued a flap to make the belt loop all this for $ 9 bucks.

Thanks again guys really appreciate the quick responses.1000

Make your own out of Kydex.... you can buy materials at any knife making website... then all you need is a heat gun, belt sander, and tube sock filled with sand and some hardware (Clips, rivets, etc...also found at the previously mentioned knife making website)

It's actually a fun way to kill sometime waiting for real Spring weather to arrive :th:

And you can really customize it for your needs

you can buy the whole kit at once too for like less than 15 bucks, itt fit perfect, waterproof, itll drain. the miltitary uses kydex stuff so its good stuff

Forgot about those little holders, looks good. I would use a Stitch Awl with waxed nylon thread and just go through that snap part just for reassurance , super glue may hold over the long haul though. Glad you got it resolved, and it didn't cost big $$$ for just a ridiculous name.