Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thrillbilly15

May 8-12 Montauk

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys my last final is May 8th and I only have a few days before I have to report back to the Academy. I've been dreaming to get up to Montauk for years and I'm finally doing it this year. I was wondering if there are any tips or advice from you guys before I head up to Montauk. I've never been there and just thought it would be a sweet experience to camp out at Hither Hills and just fish as much as humanly possible.

My wife surprised me 5 years ago with this for our 10th anniv.

Best gift ever.

Only been there once, but I think it's a little tougher to just randomly go to montauk and fish. Parking rules are nuts and you really need to know the terrain.

Do a guided trip to start, then if you have a few more hours you have an idea of where to go.

Call bill wetzel and do a guided surf trip

Awesome. You will not be let down and you will hit a variety of terrain

+1

Bill is a not only a great guide, but a really cool guy to BS with as well. Makes a world of difference IMO..

I'm not really looking for a guided trip. i'm short on money and would rather do the journey on my own rather than someone tell me exactly where to fish and what to fish. 

:th:

good for you

I'm not really looking for a guided trip. i'm short on money and would rather do the journey on my own rather than someone tell me exactly where to fish and what to fish. 

This is what I did with my friend. First night we tried to go out we ended up walking back to the cars fearing for our lives :p We ended up just fishing the day time when we could actually see the rocks. We did okay, lots of places to fish though and I know we caught barely anything compared to what guys were catching in certain spots overnight.

Also if you want to try the rocks make sure you do it on an outgoing so you don't get stranded on a rock or worse, getting bounced around the flood starts hitting.

A buddy came with me on the guided trip with wetzel. Then tried to do it on his own with a buddy the next weekend. He lost his aquaskinZ gloves within 5 minutes as he was aggressively knocked off a rock. Then got Blasted again and added a nice ding/dent on a vs. they decided that was enough.

It's awesome out there. Just be careful.

Also, not sure where you are from, but if from nj, keep that quiet.

(I am, and was ripped unmercilessly for 6 hours by bill (jersey muggers was the term!)