Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldschool77

Stores or restaurants that sell large eels for rigging/skinning

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello SOL.

I know a lot of you have connections to restaurants or can at least recommend a type of merchant I can get purchase large live eels for rigging/etc. I don't have time to set traps and all...

Sushi restaurants?

Grocery Stores?

Anywhere else I should inquire?

I have a bunch of plugs I would like to re-skin for and to keep a few handy in brine jars. Looking to get a dozen or so to freeze...

Any advice would be great.

Matt

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool77 View Post

Hello SOL.

I know a lot of you have connections to restaurants or can at least recommend a type of merchant I can get purchase large live eels for rigging/etc. I don't have time to set traps and all...

Sushi restaurants?

Grocery Stores?

Anywhere else I should inquire?

I have a bunch of plugs I would like to re-skin for and to keep a few handy in brine jars. Looking to get a dozen or so to freeze...

Any advice would be great.

Matt

does your local bait shop not carry them? I know of at least two bait shops that carry in in Old Saybrook alone.

Just regular live eels but snakes are few and far between. Seems the word on the street is possibly restaurants, fish markets and places like that may be a good source.

I've seen live eels in Korean supermarkets if you have any in your neighborhood. Also a good verity of fresh squid,smelt AKA Peruvian spearing .

This is where I need to focus some attention...I am sure I can hunt a few down near me in Bridgeport or New Haven especially but i wasn't sure if anyone had a place in mind.

What flytyingguy1 said! There's a Korean market right next to where I work that has them.They sell them live and by the pound.These suckers are huge! I think there's a chain of them called H and Y. I used to work in a fish market next to where I live that I can get them from if need be.Good Luck...

What flytyingguy1 said! There's a Korean market right next to where I work that has them.They sell them live and by the pound.These suckers are huge! I think there's a chain of them called H and Y. I used to work in a fish market next to where I live that I can get them from if need be.Good Luck...

Up until last month my grandmother lived a few blocks from there. I may have to make a roadtrip down again lol.

+1 Asian markets. They're not cheap though. You might be paying $4-5 per pound or more. But they are giants, at least 22" long.

I am willing to pay that much...its fine with me. I have a good relationship with my B+T but I can't rig any or pruchase any until well into May. Not in a rush but I don't want to be in a pinch later on either. Plus I'd like to grab a few for my fishing buddies.

Matt,

Try seafood wholesalers or your local mom and pop seafood shops.

I get mine from our seafood vendor, anywhere from $3 each to $14 depending on the season.

I'm planning on getting a bunch soon if you want to do an eel skinning party, with some of the other local CT/RI guys that want them.

+1 Asian markets. They're not cheap though. You might be paying $4-5 per pound or more. But they are giants, at least 22" long.

What he said ^^^^. Did mine last year...

Oldschool,

There is an Ted the eel man about an hour north of you, he right on the CT river, his shack is right out of the movie deliverance :shock::D

You have to buy by the lb but from what I remember it wasn't more than $3-$4/lb. He's got some nice big ones for skins and nice fat ones for rigging.

Don't get any less than 5 lbs other wise he grumbles a bit

Call the guys at rivers end in old say brook they know him and they sent me to him when I was trying to buy some eels from them, call them and ask if their bait guy Is getting eels in his traps yet

Good luck and let us know how you make out

Hey Thanks! Definitely worth the trip lol but I'll contact Pat and see what he says.

I went to two local seafood restaurants and got two suppliers they use in the city as well. If I had a few dozen between my buddy and I I would be good for a while.

Thanks for all the input!