Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rogerfowler

Best new 2H OH rod for 2012-2013

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Thomas & Thomas XF  DNA 1339 ...............hands down winner.  If any of you get a chance to cast this 13'3" 9 wt, you're in for a treat.

I cast it with a variety of lines (up to 790 grs) but really liked the way it cast a 560 + 110 grain head and tip.  I tied on an 8", very wind resistant fly and was consistently( and effortlessly) hitting the 110-115 marker while casting into the wind.

It's also the most beautiful rod of all the new rods I've cast.  Way to go Tom Dorsey!

Casting season is over and fishing starts in a couple of weeks.

I was able to cast the Loomis NRX 12'6 9 wt, Sage One 13'10 wt, the Loop Cross 13' 9 wt. as well as the T & T DNA.  My criteria was casting distance, weight, and appearance.

Spig, read the thread before you start taking shots.  I said best new rods for 2012-2013.  I know how nice the z axis and tcx rods are.  I also have a 20 year old rod that will do the same thing. 

The big deal with the new rods that utilize the new 3M graphite is not only the distance they are capable of casting but the weight.  The DNA XF rod is as light as a feather as well as beautiful in appearance.

Spig, read the thread before you start taking shots.  I said best new rods for 2012-2013.  I know how nice the z axis and tcx rods are.  I also have a 20 year old rod that will do the same thing. 

Roger, Roger. Guess I overlooked the word NEW. But, this is SOL and we do tend to bust chops a bit here. It may happen again. ;)

The DNA xf rod and the NRX were a dead heat with regard to casting.  I do think the T & T will handle more grains than the Loomis  and their warranty record is spotless as far as I know...... as is Sage. 

Cosmetically, they are on different planets. 

The T & T rod flexes differently than the Z.  It is more of a upper third flex vs a fuller flex.

Mike I did acquire the T & T.  I'd love to cast one of yours someday.

The big deal with the new rods that utilize the new 3M graphite is not only the distance they are capable of casting but the weight. 

Then T&T would be the first. I don't know any "nano" rods which are significantly lighter than previous models were.

Roger,

Thats good. Maybe you can now gain peace and get on with as you said yourself with fishing. You are very welcome to cast one of my rods. It is just the hurdle of getting one to you to try out. Pity you can't make the TH day in June in Cape Cod. It would have been great to make side by side comparisons. Glad to hear you like your new rod and are excited by it.

Mike

Its noticeably lighter than the stinger and is 9" longer.  Balance is also better with the same 9.5 oz reel.  This is very important to me as I like to tuck the rod under my arm and strip with both hands.

Sounds good Roger. I'm glad you got it narrowed down. I wish there was some shops around me that carried that TnT rod but I've got nothing. I'd love to cast it. Btw, have you tried the 7126 tcx? That has more of a tip flex than a zaxis. That's my new fun toy.

I'd be afraid to try and fight a big GT with this rod. I'm keen to catch one.  Everyone I talk to indicates a 9' 12 wt.is a good starting point and to plan on breaking it.  What rods are you guys using?

Roger why be afraid. GT's are tough Brutes but there is no way they can break your rod unless you high stick it or do something daft. Depending on the size of the GT and the terrain you hook it in will probably determine the outcome. Big ones heading for rock structure are not going to be stopped mostly by any fly rod. Tough enough with a decent spinning rod.

Don't forget you have a bullet proof warrenty on your rod to. Having said all that I don't think I would chose a TH as a first choice fly rod for GT's unless it was the only way to get a fly out to them.

UB and Max if I remember rightly just got plain fed up with losing gear to these great fish when fishing fly. Fight used to be all over in a matter of seconds if reefs were around.:D

Mike