Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

New Tool

9 posts in this topic

Tim, welcome to the kayak forum.

I got the Berkley Lip Gripper this fall also and it was definately a life saver with the big blues on the kayak. I can't imagine dealing with them without one now.

There is a guy retrofitting the berkley lip grip with a 50 # scale, another sol'er picked one up recently and will review it for me soon. It's 60.00. PM or e-mail me if ya want the link. I don't want to step on Tim's toes. Dave

I don't have either. They're not stainless but were inexpensive (<$10). There were several bluefish where I had to go in from the gills because my regular pliers (which are 8") left my fingers in a situation where nothing good could have happened. These pliers will solve this.

A little off topic but I find that once you get that blue clear of the water, if you grab it hard just behind the gills, it goes soft as a puppy. Maybe that's the combined impact of shock and suffocation but it certainly makes hook extraction easier. They're so aggressive, I rarely get anything deeper than a lip hook. Certainly would want to venture my pinkie much beyond the lips. Has anyone tried using one of those "mail" protective gloves you use for filleting when spelunking in a blue. Might work but wouldn't wnat to be the one to find out it doesn't.

Salt - these were big fish and they would often swallow even plugs and get them well inside. A blue in the teens has a big mouth. Most, however, were caught using live bunker and they would get the hook in their mouths. Also I prefer not to touch fish if I can. By using the Berkley Lip Gripper I didn't have to handle them. Doug said that he got one so big that it scared him just having the Berkley on it.

Know what you mean. Went out with a friend on his boat off martha's Vinyard last summer and the blues were monsters, substantially bigger than what I'm accustomed to off Fire Island. Just purchased a "Lip-Lok" boga type grip (without scale) with them in mind. Agree also that if you return them, as I do most of the time, the less touching the better. So the lip lok should protect both me and the fish.